Chapter 17

“There you are!” Tails called as the blue hedgehog ran up to the group.

“Sorry if we worried anyone.” Sonic laughed a bit.

Shadow huffed. “Will you put me down now?”

“What? You embarrassed?”

“No! Of course not!” Shadow clenched his fists. “Just put me down!”

Sonic laughed as he finally put Shadow down. Sonia smiled as she watched the scene.

“SONIC THE HEDGEHOG! YOU HAVE A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO!” The group jumped slightly as Rouge came flying in, holding a very irritated fox by the scruff of his neck. She dropped the fox on the ground as she landed crossing her arms.

“Rouge?” Sonic blinked, confused. “What are you talking about?”

“And who’s that?” Shadow questioned.

Rouge pulled out a couple books out of her satchel, ignoring Shadow, and flipped them over to certain pages, showing them to everyone. “I’ve been doing some researching, and I’ve discovered multiple things in history books about a blue hedgehog. Now, I marked this off as there just being a lot of blue hedgehogs, but Devion here told me something interesting. Go on hun.”

The fox grunted slightly as he stood up, glaring at Rouge before speaking. “It is said that Mahkah specifically made it so that a blue hedgehog would never be made. It was because Mahkah appeared as a blue hedgehog when he visited us. A blue hedgehog was never meant to be born.”

Rouge put the books back in her satchel as Devion talked, crossing her arms and looking at Sonic. “Got an explanation, Big Blue?”

Sonic stiffened slightly as all eyes were turned to him. He glanced to Shadow a bit worriedly before masking that emotion with a smile. “I really don’t know about any of this, Rouge. I was born a blue hedgehog.” He shrugged. “What are you implying anyways?”

“You know, it’s awfully strange that you just so happen to be the only blue hedgehog.” Rouge put her hands on her hips, staring at him suspiciously. “Not to mention that you just get really excited whenever we talk about Farah.”

“She’s not wrong.” Knuckles commented. “For as long as I’ve lived, I’ve never seen a blue hedgehog until you.”

“How long have you been alive?” Devion questioned.

“That doesn’t concern you.” Knuckles snapped.

Devion held his hands up. “Woah, chill.”

“When Heolstor appeared, it seemed like you knew him personally.” Tails said thoughtfully. He frowned as he looked at Sonic. “You have been acting weird lately, Sonic.”

“Wait, so you think I’m Mahkah!?” Sonic frowned. “Come on, guys!”

Shadow bit his lip in thought. Finally he spoke up. “Sonic can’t be Mahkah.”

All eyes turned to him. Rouge tilted her head slightly. “I don’t know, Shadow…. All the evidence lines up.”

“If he was Mahkah, then he wouldn’t have asked me out.” Shadow grabbed Sonic’s hand, blushing brightly.

Rouge stopped everything in her interrogation. “Wait, really!?” She smiled as if she was just given all of the world’s jewels. “When did this happen!?”

“Just a little bit ago, actually.” Sonic chuckled, glad that Shadow had managed to change the topic.

Devion glanced between the everyone. “Are we just gonna forget about that little interrogation scene, or….”