Chapter 16

Sonic smiled as he nuzzled Shadow’s cheek, the other leaning closer to him in response. Everything was calm, and the two hedgehogs refused to go back to the others, even though they probably should.

Shadow felt himself laying his head on the other’s shoulder. It was nice, nicer than he ever thought it’d be. Being that close to him felt natural somehow….

“This is nice.” Sonic smiled.

He knew that it wouldn’t last. “We can’t do this. When Farah-”

“Shadow, what did I just say?” The blue hedgehog looked to the other. “What happens in the future doesn’t matter right now. What happened in the past, was the past. What matters is what happens right now, and right now…” He kissed the others cheek. “You’re what matters.”

Shadow looked away from the other, refusing to let the other see the red he knew dusted his muzzle. Yes, it was nice to have this, but he knew that when they find Farah, Sonic would be gone. He might even leave the Earth to go back to his family. It was thoughts like those that made him more than a little apprehensive going in with this relationship that Sonic was wanting. He really did want to, but Sonic is Mahkah, who is not only taken, but an actual god.

Sonic frowned as he saw Shadow turn away. He thought that he’d feel better after choosing between Shadow and Farah, but he still felt confused. Shadow’s doubts didn’t help him either. He was renowned for his confidence and how he dived headfirst into anything, no matter the danger, but this was probably the least confident he had ever felt. Sighing, he looked to the ground. “Look, if you really don’t want this, I won’t stop you from leaving, but I really care about you, Shadow, and I want to be there for you. That won’t stop, no matter what.” Shadow glanced to him, but remained silent, listening to what the other was saying. Sonic smiled as he continued, growing a flower in front of them. Shadow simply watched, masking his amazement well. “Even if we do find Farah, I won’t stop caring about you. I won’t stop trying to make your life better for you. Because, ya know, I…” He took a deep breath, plucking the flower from the ground and holding it out to Shadow. “I love you….”

Shadow glanced between the flower and Sonic; he could feel his muzzle quickly heating up. Hand shaking slightly, he gently took the flower, no longer looking at Sonic. He sighed, feeling his eyes start to water. He didn’t dare cry though. “Why do you have to make this so damn hard?”

Sonic tilted his head slightly. That wasn’t really what he was expecting. “Huh?”

“I don’t want to take you away from the girl you’ve been waiting centuries to finally see.” He took in a deep breath, sniffling slightly. “That wouldn’t be fair to her, to you…. Sonic, I’m not worth giving up what you two have.”

“Why do you do that?”

“Do what?” Shadow glanced to the other.

“Say that you’re not worth anything. Whether it’s this or…” Sonic looked away. “or refusing to let someone help you while you’re falling to Earth because you can’t control your super form, and you left that person to feel guilty because they thought you died, and that it was all their fault. Then you come back with no memory of them, and they never got to say anything about it because you turn away from them every chance-”

“Sonic….” Shadow stopped him from his rambling, a sad and confused look in his eyes. “That was so long ago…. Is that what you really thought about all of that.”

Sonic looked to him, and Shadow noticed the tears in his eyes. “I tried to help you…. If you had just let me take you back to the ARK, you wouldn’t have had amnesia…. Everything could’ve been fine! Everytime I look at you, all I can see is you falling to Earth and refusing to let me help you! I’m not letting you refuse my help anymore.”

Shadow frowned. “Sonic, I told you I was fine with dying at that point-”

“But I wasn’t.” Sonic sighed, leaning back against the tree, sniffling slightly. “You sound just like her when you say those things….”

Shadow had to stop himself from questioning that statement. He knew who he was talking about. What he was confused about was what he said. “What do you mean?”

Sonic smiled sadly before shaking his head. He stood up and held his hand out for the other. “Let's go. The others are probably waiting for us.”

“Sonic, you can't just-”

“Rouge is probably waiting. She’ll probably want to see you.” Sonic cut in. Shadow frowned before taking his hand and getting up.

They walked a bit in silence. Shadow kept glancing between the blue hedgehog and the flower still in his hand. Finally, he decided to speak up. “Sonic….”

“Yeah?”

Shadow kept his gaze on the flower. “I'm… I'm willing to make this work between us. But when we do find Farah, I want you to go back with her…. After waiting for her for so long, I don't want to get in the way.”

Sonic frowned, but instead of arguing, he just sighed, taking the other's hand in his. “Alright, I guess….” They then walked in silence, hand in hand. Sonic then grinned, wanting to lighten the mood. “So, if we're together, then I can do this and you won't yell at me, right?”

“Wha- SONIC!” Shadow shouted as he was picked up and carried at high speeds back to the house.

Sonic laughed, holding Shadow tighter as the hedgehog squeaked in surprise. “You're so cute, Shads.”

“I'm not cute!” Shadow growled out. “Put me down!”

“Not until we get there.” Sonic chuckled. “Calm down and enjoy the ride! You gotta like being in my arms, right?”

Shadow grumbled out a lot of excuses before just crossing his arms and sighing. Sonic smirked. “That's better.”

[Lava]

Worked hard on this chapter all day so I could get it out to you all! Happy Valentine's Day! ^_^