Two Shades Of Love {2}

“How was school?” Max asked as we climbed in his car afterschool. “Boring. It’s school, daddy,” JJ said, rolling his eyes. He always called Max “daddy”. It was the way he had grown up.

                Max sighed. “Positive attitude, JJ. Try to have one,” he said as he pulled into Pierce’s driveway. “Yea, yea, yea. Thanks for the ride daddy,” he said and hopped out of the car. “Thanks for the ride Max,” I said with a smile before getting out and following JJ.

                We rang the doorbell and JJ’s Uncle Pierce answered. “My little guy has an obsession with dragons. God fucking help me,” he groaned and let us inside. “Nice to see you too, Pierce,” JJ said sarcastically.

                “Shut up. You’ll understand after about 5 minutes,” Pierce said with a sigh. “Daddy!” his youngest son, Richie, cried as he ran into the room. “Daddy! Daddy! Guess what?” Pierce sighed again before forcing a smile and scooping the little boy into his arms. “What Richie?” he asked.

                “Mommy says that I can fight dragons with JJ and Milo!” he said eagerly and glanced at us. We smiled at him and nodded.

                “Wow! That’s awesome Richie!” Pierce cried in fake excitement. He set the boy down and Richie ran off screaming something about dragons.

                “Why did I have to have kids?” he moaned and rubbed his temples. “You love them, Pierce. So shut up and deal with it,” JJ said and Pierce rolled his eyes. “Yea, I love those fuckers. Still, it figures I get the weirdest kid out of the bunch.” He snapped his mouth shut and bit his lip. “I lied. Poor Owen,” he whispered and walked away from us.

                I glanced at JJ. He took a deep breath before he grabbed my hand and led me into the living room. Ozzy and Ripper, Pierce’s other kids, looked at us and Ripper smirked. “Well if it isn’t my favorite fagot ass cock suckers,” he said.

                “Well if it isn’t our favorite dirty-mouthed 9 year old,” JJ grumbled. “We’re leaving. Have fun with my brats. I need to go kill myself,” Pierce said, entering the room. “Shut up dad,” Ripper said with a glare.

                “Do you hear this? My own kid is bitching at me. My 9 year old! Sweet Jesus!” Pierce cried as his wife entered the room. “Pierce, grow up and stop swearing in front of the kids, okay?” she said with an eye roll.

                Pierce wrapped his arms around her and kissed her gently. “I love you, but I dislike the offspring you produce. To dinner, we go!” He dragged her laughing form out of the house and JJ and I glanced at each other and shrugged.

                We played with the three boys for a while. Richie fell asleep first, then Pierce’s middle son, Ozzy, and then Ripper at long last.

                JJ and I sat on the floor, Ozzy curled up and snoring softly on the couch behind us. We had put Richie to bed and Ripper was asleep in his parents’ room.

                “He hasn’t spoken a word in forever,” I whispered to JJ, jerking my thumb at Ozzy’s sleeping form. JJ shrugged. “He’s been even quieter since…well, you know. I think he looked up to him.” Ah. Pat.

                “JJ, are you okay?” I asked quietly. “No. I feel like it’s my fault. I ignored it for so long and it only got worse. And then I provoked him. And now he’s…I don’t want to talk about it Milo. The fact is, I’m living with it.” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I’m living with it,” he whispered and squeezed his eyes shut. I grabbed his hand and he opened his eyes and kissed me.

                Pierce and his wife came home and JJ and I left. I met back up with JJ the next day and we shared a kiss before going off to find Gabe and Felix.

                “Hey guys. You okay Gabe?” JJ asked curiously. I glanced at Gabe and frowned. His face was pale. He licked his lips nervously and chewed on his lip.

                “I have something to tell you guys,” he whispered. “Okay. Shoot,” JJ said, looking confused. Gabe’s lips twitched, as if he was unsure whether to smile or frown. “Pat’s coming home tomorrow,” he said softly.