Two Shades Of Love {7}

“He’s still crazy,” I said to JJ when we left gym class. JJ shrugged helplessly. “I never thought he was okay,” JJ mumbled, but I could see the pain in his eyes. I had told him about the way Pat had been acting in gym.

                JJ wanted to Pat to be okay. Pat had been, perhaps, his best friend. It was hard for him to accept that Pat really was crazy. But it was harmful to himself to think that Pat was okay.

                “Hey guys,” Pat said, catching up to us and glancing at his feet shyly. “Are we hanging out afterschool?” JJ nodded and smiled as casually as he could. “Of course, Pat!” he said and Pat looked up and smiled happily.

                So afterschool, we went back to the Cash’s house with them and Felix. We went into the kitchen to grab a snack. Mr. Cash was in the backyard, fixing something on the back deck. Mrs. Cash wasn’t home from work yet.

                Gabe made us all pizza rolls and handed us glasses of soda. “No cans?” JJ asked sarcastically. “That shit’s bad for the economy!” Felix said and stuck his tongue out at JJ. JJ shrugged and took a sip of his soda.

                “Okay, so vote we all hang out at my house tomorrow and go swimming. The pool’s nice and warm, and it’s huge,” JJ said, spreading his arms out as if to show the length of the pool in his backyard.

                His arm bumped Pat’s glass of soda and spilled it. It splashed down the front of Pat’s shirt and into his lap. We all stared in fear and grew pale.

                “Shit! I’m really, really sorry Pat!” JJ cried. Pat’s arm shot out and the glass that had spilled on him fell to the floor where it shattered loudly.

                “Sorry. It surprised me,” Pat hissed. That insane look had erupted into his eyes in pure fury, but was already beginning to recede. “Don’t worry about it, JJ.”

                “Pat-” JJ started but Pat fixed him with a furious look. “I said don’t worry about it!” he snapped as his dad yanked the back door open and hurried inside and over to us.

                “What happened?” he cried. “I heard something shattering!” JJ shakily pointed at the broken glass on the ground. “I, uh, I spilled it on Pat. It shocked him and he accidentally knocked it over,” he said quietly.

                “Come on Pat. We’ll change your clothes before you get too sticky,” Mr. Cash said, helping him up. Pat left the room without a word to any of us, pulling off his shirt as he went out.

                “Did he get angry?” Mr. Cash asked in concern. “No. He was just surprised. It was an accident,” Gabe lied calmly. “He didn’t get mad. He told JJ not to worry about it.” JJ watched Gabe carefully, but didn’t say anything. He just grabbed my hand under the table.

                Mr. Cash sighed and left, going into the basement to get a broom to clean up the class. “Gabe, he didn’t knock it over on accident and you know it. He meant to shatter the glass,” JJ hissed accusingly. But Gabe simply glared at him. “Shut up JJ,” he growled as we heard his dad coming back upstairs.

                Mr. Cash began to sweep up the glass so we didn’t step on it. Pat came back downstairs with a shirt in his hands and a new pair of jeans on. He tossed the shirt on his chair and grabbed a paper towel, wetting it and wiping his chest with it.

                He came back over to sit down. “Pat, stop!” Mr. Cash cried as he stepped where the glass was. Pat looked down at his now lightly bleeding foot curiously.

                “Shit. You okay, Patrick?” Mr. Cash asked as Pat sat down and inspected his foot. Pat shrugged and nodded. “Didn’t even know I stepped on it,” he said and wiped the blood off with a napkin before putting his foot back down.

                “You kids be careful in case I missed any of the class,” Mr. Cash said sternly as he dumped whatever he had gathered into the garbage. He glanced at Pat worriedly. “Sorry about the glass, dad,” Pat said, pulling his shirt on.

                “It’s okay. Let me know if your foot bothers you, Pat,” Mr. Cash said before making his way back outside. Pat ran his hands through his hair and fixed his shirt.

                “So what do you guys want to do?” Gabe asked joyfully, as if none of that had just happened. We all shrugged at him. “We could play Super Smash Bros,” JJ offered and we all got up and went into the living room.

                Gabe set up the game and Felix raised his hands in defeat. “You 4 play. I suck at this game. Did you know that Disney put a dick on the cover of one of their movies? It was The Little Mermaid. Whales constantly-” “Shut up Felix!” JJ said in annoyance and Felix pouted and sat down as we grabbed the controllers.

                We began to play and JJ laid down, resting his head in my lap. “If you kill me, I will bash your dick in with my head,” he promised and I rolled my eyes. I flicked him in the forehead as the game started. We began to fight each other, each having 3 lives.

                “Fuck! Fuck! FUCK!” Gabe shrieked, trying to fight me. “You can’t beat me Gabe!” I said with a cocky smirk as I shoved him off the edge.

                “Fuck!” he whined. “Hey, with the language. Gabe, that’s, like, 4 fucks right in a row. Your mother will rip my head off if she hears you talking like that,” Mr. Cash said, entering the room.

                “But he killed me in Super Smash Bros!” Gabe whined, pointing at the screen. “Oh. Well, in that case…FUCK YOU MILO YOU FUCKING FUCKER FUCKTARD!” Mr. Cash cried and we all laughed. He smirked and shrugged before walking upstairs.

                “I love your dad, Gabe,” I said and laughed as I fought against Pat. Gabe laughed. “Aw, he’s okay,” he said as I pushed Pat off the side.

                We continued to fight for about 5 minutes before Pat suddenly whipped his controller on the ground furiously. “It doesn’t work! It’s a piece of shit!” he snapped furiously, getting up, kicking the Nintendo 64 as hard as he could, and storming away to go upstairs.

                “He…he’s always had a bad temper. Always been a sore loser. It doesn’t mean anything,” Gabe hissed, his eyes daring any of us to call Pat crazy to see what he would do.

                But Felix, JJ, and I remained silent. I looked down at JJ and he shrugged lightly, his eyes troubled. I mentally sighed. I had a bad, bad feeling about this.