Two Shades Of Love {3}

JJ and I both froze and stared at him. So did Felix. “What? Why? Why’s he coming home? When’s he going back?” JJ asked, the questions falling from his mouth quickly.

                Gabe shrugged and a small smile finally rose on his pale face. “I think my parents got into another fight and my dad cracked. I hope to god he doesn’t have to go back. He’ll be back in school sometime this week. Probably Thursday. I don’t think dad will send him back to school right away.”

                “But…he’s crazy,” Felix said weakly. “He’s not crazy! Pat isn’t crazy!” Gabe cried defensively. “He tried to kill me, Gabe. He tried to kill you too,” JJ said quietly. I squeezed his hand and he wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me close. He kissed my forehead.

                “I don’t think he should come back to school,” JJ said and shrugged, shooting a concerned look at Felix. Pat seemed to change Felix. Almost to control him.

                Gabe glared. “If he comes back to school, be nice to him. He’s been in that damn place for almost a year. He’s just going to need his friends.” Gabe’s eyes flashed to me. I wasn’t Pat’s friend. I never had been. And he terrified me, to be quite honest. I wasn’t sure I wanted to be his friend. But if JJ wanted me to be nice to him, then I would be nice to him.

                JJ sighed. “We’ll be nice. But if he acts like he was acting…Gabe, I’m not doing that. I will not deal with that thing. That thing wasn’t Pat. I’m only nice to you, Felix, Milo, and Pat. Not whatever the fuck that thing was that tried to choke us.”

                “That thing was my little brother!” Gabe snapped. “He tried to kill us, Gabe! That wasn’t Patrick Christopher Cash. That was…fuck it; I don’t even know what that was. It was some mentally insane thing,” JJ cried angrily.

                “If you’re mean to my brother, I’ll let him kill you, JJ!” Gabe said, glaring and clenching his fists tightly. “He’s gone through hell. Don’t be an ass. Just act like you did before Pat started acting weird.”

                JJ sighed. “Yea. Sure,” he grumbled before pulling me away. “This isn’t going to end well. I can just feel it,” he said with a sigh. “I’m worried, JJ. What if he’s still crazy?” I asked quietly. “Then we’ll get Owen to send him back. If he needs more help, we’re not going to play ignorant fucks this time. We’ll get him help right away,” JJ said fiercely.

                Afterschool, we went back to JJ’s house. He threw open the front door and dragged me into the kitchen, where his two dads and two little siblings were sitting and talking.

                “Hiya JJ,” his sister, Kenz, greeted. She smiled and waved at me and I waved back. “Did you guys know Pat’s coming back?” JJ demanded, ignoring Kenz. Max and Noah, his dads, glanced at each other before sighing and nodding.

                Noah slipped an arm around Max’s waist and frowned at us. “We didn’t want to upset you, JJ. We were planning to tell you tonight as gently as we could. Owen said if he acts up again, they’ve both agreed to send him right back for help,” Noah explained with another sigh.

                “They shouldn’t bring him back! He’s dangerous!” JJ cried. “JJ, he’s their son. It’s hard,” Max said gently. “It’s bad for him,” JJ whispered. “And it’s bad for the rest of us.”

                Max shrugged helplessly. “I’m not Pat’s dad. I’m your dad. I don’t know exactly what they’re going through, JJ. All I know is that it’s hard. They had to send their son away because he was mental. It really hurt them to do that. Try to put yourself in their shoes.”

                JJ rolled his eyes and Max frowned at him. “We’re going upstairs,” he grumbled. “JJ, wait!” his little brother, Connor cried. “What Connor?” JJ asked in annoyance. He got along great with Connor sometimes but for the most part, he was annoyed with the 12 year old.

                Connor shrank back a little. “I, uh, I have to write an essay on someone I look up to. Can I write it on you?” JJ sighed. “Get over here,” he grumbled and Connor timidly approached him. JJ wrapped his arms around the smaller boy. “Yes. Yes you can,” he said with a smile and Connor smiled back widely, throwing his arms around JJ tightly.

                His dads and sister smiled softly. JJ pulled away from Connor and grabbed my hand. He led up to his bedroom and we sat on his bed together.

                “Aw JJ, that was cute,” I said with a smile. “I love the kid, he just gets on my nerves sometimes,” JJ said with shrug. He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around me. He kissed me gently and we laid back on his bed together. He kept his arms around me tightly.

                We stayed like that for a while, just talking and kissing until it was time for me to go back home to do homework, eat, and get ready for bed. I fell asleep kind of late, and was running a little late the next day.

                I made it to school later than usual and searched around until I found JJ at his locker. He glanced at me and sighed. “Let’s go over to Gabe and Felix,” he said and took my hand in his. I  nodded and kissed him before we walked out to find them.

                “So Pat comes back tomorrow?” I asked and JJ shrugged and nodded. “I guess so. I’m nervous. What if he’s still crazy, Milo?” I bit my lip. “I don’t know, JJ,” I whispered after a moment of silence. “I really just don’t know.”

                If he was still crazy, then he would probably still have an obsession with JJ. That would endanger not only our relationship, but possibly our very lives as well. Patrick Cash was literally crazy. He wasn’t afraid to seriously injure, or even kill, someone. He had proven that already.

                JJ suddenly stopped walking. I froze and glanced at his scared face curiously. “JJ? What’s wrong?” I asked, following his gaze. My eyes widened as they landed on Pat Cash.