Two Shades Of Love {11}

I opened my mouth and let out a terrified scream. Pat smirked cruelly and slashed the knife down with as much force as he possibly could, that insane look mocking me as he did so.

                I sat up, my heart racing and breathing heavily. “Milo? Are you okay?” JJ mumbled sleepily, placing his hand on my knee. I looked around, cold sweat on my body. I pulled my shirt off. I suddenly felt too hot.

                My eyes shot to the spot Pat had been sleeping in. And there he still slept, sound asleep. His hand twitched and gripped his pillow as he whimpered softly, apparently having a nightmare of his own.

                “Milo?” JJ asked again. “I’m okay. I just had a nightmare,” I whispered and laid back down. JJ wrapped his arms around me. “You’re covered in cold sweat, Milo. What did you dream about?” he asked and kissed me, his eyes blood shot as he forced them open. It was still dark out. We had probably only been asleep for about an hour or so. Poor JJ was still exhausted.

                “Nothing. Just go back to sleep JJ,” I said and kissed him. His eyes fell back shut and he was back to sleep within seconds, his arms still around me.

                I turned a little so that Pat was still in my sight. He whimpered a little more and turned over in his sleeping bag. “No,” he mumbled and swatted weakly at something. “Not the shot,” he whimpered and thrashed a little before settling down. He mumbled something that I couldn’t understand before falling silent, calm again.

                I stayed awake until I just couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. I let myself slip into unconsciousness, my eyes stinging from how exhausted I was.

                Someone shook me sometime later and I groaned. I forced my eyes open and JJ smiled at me and kissed me. “Morning,” he said and hugged me. “Mhm,” I mumbled and closed my eyes. “Oh no way Milo! Breakfast is ready,” he said and forced me up. I sighed and he handed me my shirt.

                “Are you okay?” he asked and I nodded and pulled my shirt on. “Yea, it was just a nightmare,” I said, trying to act casual about it. I didn’t want to tell JJ about my nightmare. It would just upset him, and I didn’t want to do that. We had been having so much fun last night. Pat had been acting like his old self. It was just a dream.

                We crawled out of the blanket fort and went into the kitchen. The others were sitting at the table, waiting for Max and Noah to finish up the pancakes they were making. They all looked up at me and grinned. I couldn’t help but let my eyes slip to Pat.

                He was grinning to, but his eyes weren’t crazy. They were that weird look that I couldn’t quite interpret. He looked tired, though. Whatever he had been dreaming about last night certainly hadn’t let him get a good night sleep.

                “Morning sleeping beauty,” Gabe said sarcastically. I flipped him off and rubbed my eyes. “Hey! I saw that Milo,” Max said and laughed. I shrugged and JJ frowned and hugged me. “Hey, are you sure you’re okay?” he asked in concern.

                I nodded and let out a yawn. “Yea, sorry. I just get pissy when I’m tired,” I mumbled and rested my head on his shoulder. He kissed my forehead and led me over to the table. He sat down and pulled me into his lap as Max and Noah came over with a mountain of pancakes for us. The others cheered and began to shovel them onto their plates.

                “Aren’t you hungry Milo?” JJ asked as he worked around me to get pancakes onto his plate. I shook my head and rested my head back on his shoulder. He frowned deeply and kissed me before beginning to eat.

                “So what are we doing today?” Gabe asked after swallowing his food. JJ shrugged. “Whatever you guys want to do,” he said.

                “We should go outside and jump on the trampoline like bosses,” Felix suggested. Once we had finished eating, we all went outside and got on the trampoline. We began to jump and joke around with each other.

                Pat accidentally hit me and knocked me over. “Oh shit! Sorry Milo,” he cried and helped me up. “Are you okay?” I nodded, a little freaked out as my dream flashed back to me.

                “Way to go Pat,” Gabe said jokingly and shoved him. “Fuck you Gabe!” Pat whined and jumped on him. The brothers fell down and laughed as we jumped and bounced them. JJ jumped over to me and smiled lightly. “Feeling better?” he asked and kissed me. I shrugged. “I’m just really tired,” I said and hugged him tightly.

                “Ayo brats! Let’s go!” Owen’s voice called. We looked over and saw him standing near the trampoline with car keys in his hand. “I’m bringing you home too, Felix,” he added.

                “E-yuh, dad! Wait!” Pat whined. “No way ya goof. Get down here,” Owen called, raising an eyebrow at Pat. Pat pouted and he, Gabe, and Felix got off the trampoline. JJ and I followed them off of it and over to Owen. It had been awhile since I had heard any of them say “E-yuh”.

                Owen slung an arm around Pat’s shoulders and ruffled his hair playfully. Pat shoved him and laughed. “Stop it you dork!” he cried and stuck his tongue out.

                “Come on; let’s go home. Your Uncle Ian is coming over to pick a few things up in a little,” Owen said and the brothers groaned. “He can go fuck himself,” Gabe grumbled. “Hey with the language you dumbass,” Owen said but smirked.

                “Bye guys,” JJ said and we waved to them as they followed Owen to his car. “What, they don’t like their Uncle?” I asked curiously as JJ and I went up to his bedroom together. JJ shook his head. “Not at all. Their Uncle Ian is Owen’s half brother. Ian’s dad, Owen’s stepdad, abused him and beat the shit out of him in front of Pat and Gabe when they were little,” he said as we sat on his bed.

                I frowned. “Damn. Hey, what’s up with the E-yuh thing? I never asked you,” I said as I rested my head on his chest. He laughed and shrugged.

                “Pat used to say it all the time when we were little kids, and it just kind of stuck. We got River into saying it, too. You should join us in the E-yuh revolution,” he said and kissed me.

                I yawned and he wrapped his arms around me. “Take a nap. You look so exhausted Milo,” he said and kissed me again. “You sure?” I mumbled, already falling asleep. “Positive. I don’t mind. Now shut up and go to sleep. I love you,” he whispered. “Love you too,” I mumbled before falling asleep in his warm arms.