Chapter 7: Levels

I picked up the car keys and pocketed it. The alarm had just been raised and I could already hear the commotion outside. All we had to do was to get to our car at the garage.

I rushed to the living room and saw that everyone was in position, ready to go outside. Juan Francisco took a peep outside and motioned to me that it was all clear. He opened the door for the rest of us to go out before he did.

When I first went out, the first thing I saw was people going down the stairs. I believe that was the last of them. It was just the five of us on that floor.

"The elevators." Pierre stated.

"What about them?" I asked, already aware of his intentions.

"We can take the elevators." He replied.

"No, we can't." I said. "There's a fire."

"No, there isn't."

"Pierre, the building thinks it's on fire." James said calmly.

"And even if it wasn't, you wouldn't want to be in the same elevator with a Chree." Nick added.

Pierre gave out a sigh of defeat. Looking at his face, I could tell he still believed that was the best idea in history. If he was anything like me, he would have just ran in there and the others (including me) would follow, but I guess he isn't.

"Guys, I think we're supposed to be inside the crowd and not watching it go away." Juan Francisco said with a slight hint of sarcasm. With how he said it, I don't think the others noticed it.

We ran down the stairs, hoping we'd be in the crowd and out of the building before meeting any Chree. I didn't want to face another one of those monsters. Four of them is just much worse.

When we got to the crowd, we just barely got in and pretended to be scared and... whatever you feel when you're running from a fire you can't see or smell. We had gotten three floors down being in the crowd when the lights went out.

"Really? Doumsour? " I cried.

"Don't worry." Nick said. "The alarm doesn't run on electricity."

"Yeah, it's true but the backup generator won't kick in because there's a fire."

We had stopped walking and gotten out of the crowd. It had gotten dark in the stairway.

"I still think we should have taken the elevator." Pierre said quietly but I think we all heard.

"Right." I said. "And the power would go out and we'd be stuck in there for the Chree to finish us."

"Our best option right now, is to keep moving." Nick stated.

We all agreed... even Pierre.

I took a look at the bottom of the stairway. Some people had already gotten out of the building. From our view of the lobby, we still had a lot to go.

We had just made a left turn, heading down when we saw someone heading up.

He was tall and in a dark suit. He was bald, or maybe he would prefer shaved head and a beard. It was one of them...and he had hands.

Could that mean he's more powerful?

"Is that one of them?" I asked Nick.

He was already at on the other set of stairs heading upwards. All I had behind me were Pierre, James and Juan Francisco.

We didn't have our weapons. They were in the car at the garage.  Even if we did, we haven't had time to train with them. There is no way, I can throw a dagger for it to stab anyone or anything.