Chapter 12

I woke up to a loud knock at the door. I laid still and frightened. Another knock. I got up and tiptoed to the door to see who it was. I was sure everyone had a set of keys to get in and out of the house with, so it couldn't have been one of them. I looked through the little glass eye hole and saw a girl who seemed to be around the same age as me. I was very pleased that there was another person I could become friends with. Especially a girl.
I decided to open the door against my grandmother's sayings about strangers and greeted her with a perhaps, slightly over excited "hello" because she looked at me strangely.

"Steevee- Oh you're not Steven." She sounded disappointed as her excitement faded away suddenly. Her hair was long, auburn and super curly. She had deep brown eyes and a few freckles on her nose.
"Um.. all the guys are out right now. I'm sorry." I held onto the door handle to keep me balanced and she looked at my nails.
"I'm not sure when they'll be back tho-" Before I could finish she was already onto a completely different subject; tossing away her disappointment and replacing it with enthusiasm and excitement. 
"Oh my. Your nails look terrible. Let's fix those up!" She gave me a huge sparkling smile just like Steven's.
"Well, I would invite you in, but I'm not sure if you're allowed..." I suggested, but she had already hurried me inside, the smile never leaving her face.

We sat down on the sofa and she opened up her bag, rummaging through. It was very large and had a colourful Aztec design on it.
"I love your bag." I expressed running my hands over the bumpy stitches.
She poked her head up from inside of it.
"Thanks. I made it myself."
She grinned at me and continued to search for whatever she needed.
I was very impressed and amazed that someone could make a bag like that, and so I wanted to aswell.
"Can you show me how to make one?" I continued to trace my finger over the zigzag of blue threads.
"Yeah sure. I've actually got some embroidery threads with me so I can help you make one later if you want!"
"That would be so cool!" I beamed as she brought out a handful of different coloured nail polishes and a bottle of something purple.
She set them onto the table and lined them up ready for me to choose.  

"So you can pick whatever colour you like and I'll do them for you." She hauled her heavy bag to the side and turned back around holding some cotton pads in her hands.
I scanned all the shades before deciding on the black one with a blue shine. It was really pretty.
She set the others to the side and shook my chosen polish up quite vigorously before placing it into her lap and picking up the purple liquid.
"So I'm just gonna take off the stuff you currently have on."
She opened the bottle and placed a cotton pad on top before tipping it over in one swift movement. The stuff smelt even worse than the polish itself and so I held my breath for as long as I could.
5 seconds... 10 seconds... 15 seconds...

I used to hold my breath when I was younger.

She took my left hand in hers and started to wipe my nails with the pad. The old colour started to disappear which made me a little sad. What would Steven think?

"So did you do these yourself?" She asked while concentrating on my hand.

"Uh, no. Actually Steven did them for me." I felt a little guilty for destroying his work he was so happy with.

"You know Steven's my boyfriend." She continued to scrub my nails. A little harder now that the polish was being stubborn.

"Oh that actually makes sense seeing as you were going to greet him when I opened the door but noticed that he wasn't there and, yeah you also have like a really nice smile like his which is another reason why I thought, you know, you two could be together or whatever you want to call it."
I awkwardly chuckled and rubbed the back of my neck.

Her eyes suddenly made threatening contact with mine.
"I'll have you know that Steven and I are very happy together and so if you freaking lay a single one of your fingers on him I'll pummel you to the ground. I don't need you trying to compete with me for the prize okay? Okay."

She continued to stare at me while I tried to divert my gaze elsewhere.

She couldn't keep it in and suddenly burst out laughing. I jumped in shock from the loud squeal that cut the silence and watched her crumple onto my lap in hysterics.
I didn't know what to do ,and so I just let her calm down for a while before she whipped her head back up to look at me. Her face now red and her eyes watery.

"I am so sorry about that. I was just joking! You looked so scared. I feel a bit bad now. Aw come 'ere." She wrapped her arms around my shoulders and gave me a little hug.

I was still recovering from the unexpected threats she fired at me.

"Ah no it's fine. I don't mind." Even though I did just a little bit.

"It was actually a line from a film I watched and it fit the situation so yeah. But like, Steven is my boyfriend but I don't care if he has other friends. Especially ones like you 'cause you're super cool."

That made me grin a little. Nobody had ever called me cool before.

(Oh shit guys she forgot about Duff)

"I'm Cassia by the way, but everyone calls me Honey."

"My name's Phoebe. Nice to meet you Honey."