Chapter 28

News of the engagement hit the squad and everyone congratulated them. Rafael smiled. "Yeah yeah". They then went to the case they were working on. As they talked, Jayde's ears perked up and her face lit up. Rafael saw this and he asked what she was thinking. "Cross addiction! It's when someone goes through rehab for an addiction like drugs then they become addicted to something else when they get out. It's why a lot of addicts start smoking. They start using a drug that mimics the effect of the what they were originally using". Everyone looked at her impressed.
"Finally that psychology degree paid off", Sonny said.
"You'd think after 4 years, I'd learn something".

Totally impressed the squad and the lieutenant with my knowledge of cross addiction today. Four years and thousands of dollars later, I can finally use my psychology degree, unless someone wants me to psycho analyze them.

"Congratulations on your engagement", Amanda told her. "How'd he do it?"
"He had Steven and Kiera help him".
"Cute!"
"He is such a great dad. Steven and Kiera love him!"
"You two talking about me", Rafael said as he walked past. He had a smile on.
"Of course not", Amanda told him.
He nodded and smiled then walked away.

Steven told me that you're engaged to uncle Rafi. Congratulations! I hope you two are happy. Steven, Vincent and Anthony say hi. They said they miss you. – Johnny

Tell them I say I miss them too and thank you for that. Little Steven helped him propose. Well I guess he's not so little anymore. I wish we could talk about what happened. – Jayde

Johnny sighed and he decided to call her. She was at home watching Rafael play with the kids when her phone rang. "Hey Johnny. What's up?"
"I got your message. I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry again for the divorce. I don't know what I was thinking. I need my best friend back, not some one who hates me".
"Johnny, I don't hate you and I never did. I was upset when you told me you were filling for divorce without telling me why".
He nodded. She looked at her fiancé and the kids. "I miss you and I know it's too late. I just want to know if you're happy because that's all I want".
"I am very happy".
He smiled. "That's all I want. I'm sorry I never told you this before. I should have. I was afraid of losing you and then I did. I fucked everything up and I will always love you. You deserve him. He was there when I wasn't".
Silence as she thought of what he told her. Tears were coming out of her eyes and Rafael looked at her with concern. Johnny heard her sniffing on the other end. "Do you regret anything?"
He shook his head. "Nothing except the divorce. I wish I never hurt you or the kids. That's what I regret. I don't regret getting married to you. Like I said, all I want right now is for you to be happy".
She sniffed again. "I am happy. I love you and I always will. We have over 29 years of friendship and I don't want to throw that away".
"I love you too, Jayde and I hope you and Rafael stay in my life".
"I think we can do that". She smiled and wiped her eyes. "Do you want to talk to Steven?"
As Johnny and Steven talked, she got up and wiped her eyes. Rafael watched her as she came back over. After Steven hung up, Rafael asked if she was ok. She nodded not wanting to talk about it in front of the kids.

"He apologized for everything. For the divorce and for hurting me and the kids. He said that I deserve you and he asked if we could stay in his life", she told Rafael after the kids went to bed.
He took her hands into his and he looked at her. "I know he is, or was, your best friend Jayde and you can't throw away all those years".
She nodded. "I need him in my life because he's the only family I really have. I just miss having him there to talk to and –"
"What did he say about that?"
"That he wants to be in my life. He said that the divorce is the only thing he regrets".
He brushed her hair off her face and wiped the tears off her face. "Cariño, I want him to be in your life. Not just because of the kids, but like you said, you don't want to throw away all those years you had".
She smiled. "This is why I'm marrying you". He laughed then kissed her.

They went into the bedroom and laid on their bed. She laid her head on his shoulder. He smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I love you, Cariño".
"I love you too, Rafi". They fell asleep holding each other.