Chapter 15

Kate's POV

We returned home and I wasn't really shocked at the amount of money I spent.  I just wanted this party to be perfect for her.  "I'm tired!" Maddie gasped as we flopped onto the couch. "Same here." I sighed as I put the bags down on the counter. What was supposed to be a shopping trip for the party tomorrow, turned into me buying more stuff for Maddie when she wasn't looking. Kinda like a birthday surprise but for her adoption.

"So now what? Do you need help putting that away?" Maddie asked, and I couldn't help but smile at her. "You can help if you want, yeah." I told her and she came over to help me. "Where's this go?" She asked at almost every item. I couldn't blame her, she didn't know where stuff went.

After about twenty minutes, everything was put away and ready for tomorrow. "So Maddie, my sister has been dying to see you and she just got back from a weekend in New York. She has been asking non stop to video chat and see you. Would you wanna do that?" I asked her. "Yeah, I mean I guess so." She answered. "Alright come here, we can call her from the couch." I said as we went to the living room.

I called her on a FaceTime call and wishing a few seconds she answered. "Hey Jess!" I said excitedly. "Hey Kate, so where is my niece?" She immediately asked. "Right here." I said as I turned the camera to Maddie. "Hi." She said shyly. "Hi Maddie! Oh my goodness you are so pretty!" She said as I laughed at her enthusiasm. "Thanks, you are pretty too. Like Kate." She answered. Awww.

The two of them talked for about five minutes before the video call got passed back to me. "Hey Jessi, you coming tomorrow? We're having a little party for Maddie." I told her. "Hel-I mean Heck yeah I'm coming!" She said, quickly covering her language. "Great. You wanna come by around 11? That's when I told everyone else." I said. "Yeah I'll be there. I'm working the night shift tonight and tomorrow's my day off, so yeah we good." She answered.

"Alright well I love you sis! Wanna say bye Maddie?" I asked her. "Bye Jessi!" She called out. "Bye princess! I'll see you guys tomorrow! I love you guys!" She yelled. "Love you too!" I told her as we ended the call.

"So what do you think of her?" I asked Maddie. "She's funny." Maddie giggled. "Yeah, Aunt Jessi is pretty funny huh?" I said. I pulled Maddie into my arms and just hugged her. Reality was setting in after these past two days. Maddie was my kid, my little girl, my responsibility. And I loved her.

"So what do you wanna do? We can watch a movie, you can show me some dance stuff, we could play outside..." I asked, rambling. "Watch a movie?" She answered, more like asked. "Sure. I can order a pizza and we can watch a movie. Now which one?" I asked, knowing we picked out a lot yesterday and that she didn't eat much for lunch while we were out. "Can we watch Tangled? The one with the girl with the long hair?" She asked, remembering the box. "Yeah, sure. Go get it from your room, and I'll order the pizza. What do you like on yours?" I asked her.

"Uh, sausage." She answered. I swear me and this kid are the same person.  As she went up to her room, I called in an order from CiCi's Pizza.  Thirty minutes or less, or it's free!  About five minutes later and Maddie still wasn't down, so I went upstairs to see if everything was alright.

"Maddie?" I asked quietly as I entered her room. Then I heard her shower running.  Okay at least I knew where she was.  "Maddie?  You alright in there?" I asked.  "Yeah, just showering before dinner." She replied.  "Alright, just come down when you're done." I said as I left her.  In reality, I sat on her bed for ten minutes until she was done to make sure she didn't fall.

At that point my order had arrived so I was able to play off that I was never waiting for her.  I tipped the delivery guy a five dollar bill, and he was on his way.  I set the food down and then went back to Maddie's room.  "Need help?" I suggested as I saw her struggle with her hair.  "Please?" She begged.  I combed through her hair and then braided it down her back.  I hadn't realized how long her hair was until it was braided.

We went downstairs and I started the movie while she got her food.  Two pieces of pizza, not too bad.  I didn't want to push the fact that she didn't eat much, but I was still watching it.  After we both got our pizza and drinks, we snuggled together on the couch and watched the movie.  Maddie finished both pieces of pizza, but passed out before the movie was over. 

I cleaned up after the movie and Maddie was still asleep on the couch.  'Leave her and stay down here, or take her upstairs?' I debated.  She was already in her pajamas, but I still brought her upstairs with me.  She started to stir as I carried her upstairs, but didn't wake up.

I put her down in my bed and changed myself before getting in with her.  I laid down next to her and she immediately nuzzled into my side.  I smiled to myself before wrapping my arms around her and kissing her head.  "I love you Madison Joyce." I whispered.