Prologue 1

The shelling increases almost unbearably. Ariele has a hard time just keeping her feet under her. She sits down in front of the controls and waits. At this pace it won't be long now. She still doesn't think it's right what the queen ordered her to do but the queen promised her that if she did the rapes would stop. And Ariele can't handle another rape.

The shields go down. Ariele takes a deep breath and sets off the timer for the bomb. The shields are down but the shelling hasn't stopped. It makes running almost impossible. She stumbles and strikes her head on the stone wall.

She gets up but now everything is double vision. She sees the stone corridor of the queens castle and an outside view with her looking away from the nearest building. Ariele shakes it off and starts running. Even as the girl outside starts running both of them filled with fear.

Ariele stumbles again and once more hits her head on the stone. This time when she looks she can only make the outdoor scene. She shakes her head she doesn't have time for this, the explosion is only a short time away. She stops shaking her head when it makes her sick.

She forces her body to move the vault isn't much farther. She takes out the paper that has the combination on it. The queen promised her that it had the correct code for the vault room. In her haste and weird vision she has a hard time seeing the numbers and putting them in correctly. When the door refuses to open she slides down the wall and holds her head in despair. The queen ended the rapes alright. She never should have trusted that witch.

The queen can't lie so the numbers are correct just not necessarily in the right order. And Ariele doesn't have the time to figure it out. She gets a stubborn and angry look on her face. So the witch doesn't want her precious underhill tainted with a half breed like her? Well then she'll stop the death the queen had planned.

She should still have time if she hurries. She can save the world but not herself. She manages to get herself into a half run. The shelling has gotten harder and faster the defenses around the castle will be completely gone soon. Her head starts to swim and she's having a hard time seeing where she is going. She feels herself falling. And finds herself almost to the control room.

She forces herself to the console and deactivates the missile launch. Only then does she realize that the shelling has stopped and in the silence she can't help but start laughing. Either way she's dead. At least she stopped the missile from launching. But just then she notices a red light flashing through her skin.

"That bitch," she says. A dead man's switch. And the poison is already in her system. There is still a chance, she has to disable the launch information from inside the console itself. The queen didn't know that she knows how to do this. She breaks open the console and gets to work. "Stop what you are doing and keep your hands where we can see them." Ariele doesn't stop, it's too dangerous at this stage.

"If I stop we all die. This is the launching code for a nuclear missile that's set to launch on your home country. If it goes off it will set off a nuclear war that will destroy this world. It will first set off a bomb set right below us." Ariele ignores their conversation with whoever is in charge and works desperately to finish disarming before the poison knocks her too far out to finish.