22

"Let's get that arm rexrayed shall we?" Jaylen says. She doesn't want to wait for the radiologist. She's been trained and knows how to work the machines so she has Jeshua set his arm down and takes the picture she moves it around to get various views. She waits impatiently for the xrays to be developed.

"The breaks are completely healed." She frowns, "They appear perfectly set, even the ones I thought should be pinned are like they've never been broken."

Jeshua is just as surprised as Jaylen, but not. He frowns, "Ari said something about the water having ability to heal. I didn't think she meant like this though."

Jaylen takes the cast now discarded and tosses it to him. "Just think soldier boy that water saved you six weeks of misery in that thing. You should be thankful, I wasn't sure that you'd be able to fully use your arm since you'd refused the pinnings."

Jeshua is thankful. He doesn't like pain anymore than the next person and the loss of ability in that arm had been a real possibility. He might even have lost his place in the army had it been severe enough.

"Keep that as a souvenir to remind yourself just how damn lucky you are."Jaylen says as she leaves shaking her head in wonder as she makes notations in his chart.

"She's right you know Jeshua, I mean Maj. Those breaks were bad, you should have had them pinned." Alexis says cleaning up the exam room.

"Out you go now," She urges so she can finish her job and get things ready for the next patient.

"Are you on duty Lt.? I thought you were off duty for a while,"Jeshua says with a heavy bit of flirtation.

Alexis stops and looks at him. "Major, I am off duty, but there are things that need to be done even when one isn't officially assigned to them."

Not even her mild reproachment got him to stop smiling and flirting with her. "Are you done now? Because I'd like to have lunch with you in the mess hall."

"Yes, I'm done major, but no, I won't be eating in the mess hall. I'm not hungry and I'm going for a walk." Alexis thought that would be enough to get Jeshua away from her. But instead he smiles even more widely.

"You should have someone along for protection." Jeshua says quite happy to volunteer.

"Who would I get? You? Then who would protect me from you Major?" Alexis isn't really teasing. She knows that Jeshua wouldn't go any further than she would allow, but he does have a huge reputation when it comes to women.

Jeshua expression turns hurt. He had heard the seriousness of the question. That she honestly thinks that she might need protection from him. "I won't hurt you Lt. you would be safe with me."

"I'm not so sure of that Major. Physically I'd be safe as peaches, I know you wouldn't do anything if I said no. But I do know your reputation sir, and I don't have the casual attitude you have towards sex. And once you have sex with someone you lose interest in them. So why don't you just pretend that we've already had sex and you leave me with my heart intact?" Alexis says and pushes past Jeshua.

Jeshua for his part just stares after her. Then he pulls himself together and is getting ready to leave, take her advice and find someone else when he remembers the attack from last night. He can't let her go wandering around alone, it just wasn't safe.

He takes off after her with his cast forgotten in his hand. He catches up to her, "Look, I seem to have gotten a reputation that I admit is well earned. It might be better for me to leave you alone, but after the attack last night, it isn't safe for you to go walking alone. I promise I won't try to do anything to you. I'll just be company to talk to if you wish or just company to walk in silence with. Once we get back from the walk, if you wish I'll leave you alone."

"Thank you Major, but just why are you doing this? I know you say for my protection but who's to say that the attack wasn't aimed at you?" Alexis says. "Normally I'd have been all tucked up in my bed by then. You however are known to roam at all times around the camp. For your duties and for off duty pleasures. No one ever did interrogate them to find out who or even why they attacked," Alexis says. She does really want Jeshua to come with her but thinks he's doing it out of a sense of duty or just wanting a casual sexual encounter with her. That makes her sad.

"It could have been aimed at me, that is true and is far more likely since so many came after me, but I'd rather be there to protect you than be sorry I wasn't there. I like you Lt. You aren't afraid to tell me off or tell me how it is. It's been a long time since a female has done that. Most are as impatient to get to the sex as I am. Most of them I have no idea of their names even.

"I am as in need of a friend as anything I think. And yes I do believe that men and women can be friends and not be sexual partners. I think those people are very lucky actually, to find someone to talk to like that. I don't know, maybe I'm just not friend material, at least to females." Jeshua says looking down. He's talking from his heart and he has a real problem with looking at people, meaning females when he does that.

"I'll just be there for protection, then I'll leave you alone if that is what you want. I don't want to force my presence on you. If you really object to me I'll find someone else to go as protection for you." Jeshua says and is sad. He likes her and wants to get to know her better.

Alexis sighs. She can tell that he's being honest, but like most of the women in camp and many back home she's already crushing on him. She just never thought that he would take a second look at her. "It's not that I don't want your company Major, it's just that I'm afraid that my heart will get broken."

Jeshua doesn't smile, "There are no guarantees in life Lt., but if you don't take some chances than you're not living life either. You can't fly if you never try."

"True. Very well major. If we stop by the mess tent we can pick up some sandwiches and some water," Alexis says in a conciliatory manor.

Jeshua gives her a melting smile that tickles her to her toes. "Thank you Lt. Do you have a specific place in mind for the walk? If not we could go by the creek." Alexis smiles and agrees that sounds good.

"There that's the last of the liquids." Anna says in relief as the concoction turns a pale green color. "How did it get to be such a light color when there were all sorts of colors added? It was a deep blue before."

The voice is amused as it answers, "Magic has it's own laws. Science has laws that are sound and universal. Magic doesn't, many times people doing the same thing get vastly different results, and it's not just because their ability differs. Magic doesn't follow the laws of physics. And it might just drive some of the humans crazy trying to figure it out, but the sooner they accept that the better."

Taren moves over so he can see the mixture. "Very good, now the dry ingredients need to be ground very fine, some already are. Those you may add one at a time stirring after each addition. The others you can add after they are chopped as fine as you can get them then ground. This man will be released so that he might help you."

Taren is released and goes over to the dried ingredients and starts chopping with the knife Grey had given him. When Grey had told him to keep his knife with him at all times he never thought that it would be used for preparing a potion. He shakes his head even as he continues chopping the ingredients. Taren had always liked knives and cooking and so this is no hardship for him. He even recognized some of the plants he was chopping up.

Once he got the plants chopped he starts in on the finely grinding them. A mortar and pestle. Not modern but it certainly works well enough. He works up a sweat as he grinds the plants down. After each plant is ground he takes it over to Anna and she adds it in.

Then Taren washes the mortar and pestle in the spring water and starts on the next group. Finally after what seems like hours they are done. The potion is finished it just needs to seep over night. Anna fills the container that is waiting for the potion.

"The tribunal people approach the gates. Your presence will be needed soon." The voice says from Taren once more. Anna nods and finishes her clean up.

They both take a quick dip in the springs to clean themselves up. They have no time to worry about others or even the trees. They put on their other clothes, and hurry up to the castle entrance and are all but running to reach the gates.