26

Grey walks to the castle in long strides. He would've sent someone else but he's the only one that knows the way to the prince's suite. And he's the only one he wants touching the gift the prince had left Ari.

He can't help or save Ari, he can't bring back the dead, but he can let her finish reading the diary the prince had left her.

Once he has the diary he quickly returns to the tent is is surprised to find the mess he'd left gone. "Well Major, that was nice of you. But I'm used to cleaning up my own messes." And not just the easy ones like this. He truly has a bloody background.

Jeshua just shrugs it off. "Ari went to sleep and I had nothing else to do, so I thought I'd help you out a little."

Grey smiles at the honest answer. "I like that about you Jeshua, you speak the truth no matter if it will help your situation or not. Don't ever lose that trait, this world needs honest people like you. Thank you, that is all." Both men salute and Jeshua leaves.

Ari is sleeping and so Grey hesitates but in the end decides that she would probably prefer to read the diary than sleep. After tomorrow it would be too late. And the dark shadows under her eyes would only go towards helping him to stay the top pick for executioner after the trial.

"Ari, Ari wake up." Grey says trying to wake her gently. He's happy to see that she smiles when she sees him.

"'Ello Grey." Ari replies suppressing the yawn that wants to come out.

Grey smiles back at her tenderly and unable to help himself pushes back the hair covering part of her face. He stops smiling when he sees the bruise his hand made.

He pulls back his hand but Ari grabs it and holds it. "Why'd you wake me?" She doesn't think it's because he wants sex.

"I thought you might want to finish reading this." He doesn't finish the rest of his thought, he doesn't have to, Ari understands it all just fine. He hands her the diary and the translator.

Ari takes them both and looks up at Grey questioningly. "Yes, it's the diary your cousin left you."

Ari can't help it and tears come to her eyes, "Thank you general."

Grey helps her to sit up once more. "I think you should read it over at my desk. There is a lamp there you can use. And Ari, I'd prefer it if you called me by name and not rank please."

Ari walks over to the desk and after looking at Grey for permission sits in his chair and makes herself comfortable. "No, I can't do that now General." Ari looks up at him and smiles to take the sting of her words out.

"Tomorrow will be court. If I should call you by name and not your title that will make them suspicious. More than suspicious. I'm going to avoid talking to you as much as possible between now and then General I have to. If I appear cowed in your presence that will all be for the better.

"But General Grey, I thank you for this gift," words failed her.

"I just wish I could do more," Grey understands what she said and even approves the reasoning but he hates it when she cowers from him. And the frustration of it all makes him angry again.

Ari feels his anger and tries hard to not let it affect her but it's difficult. "Please general stop."

When Grey sees how hard it is for Ari he makes extra effort to suppress his anger and is able to calm himself enough that Ari can relax once more.

At loose ends Grey tries to relax enough to sleep, but his mind refuses to calm and refuses to allow slumber. After several hours of this Grey gives up and decides to work on the paperwork once more.