14

"Come on, Alexis, I'll show you around the castle," Jeshua says.

"Be careful, stay in rooms already cleared," is all Grey said as the two left.

Jeshua escorts Alexis out of the room. "We can start on this floor I guess. Not many of the rooms have been cleared here though. That room was the one Ari shared with her father. I don't blame her for not wanting to stay the night. Grey gets tight lipped about things but I think her father abused her." Jeshua is almost sure of it after seeing only one bedroom.

The two spend some time just exploring the castle when they come upon the main bathing pool. Jeshua gets a wicked little smile, "I'm hot, I think I'll take a bath."

"A bath Jeshua? Really? And what am I supposed to do while you're bathing?" Alexis says a little miffed. She thought they'd been having a good time.

"You could join me." Alexis looks startled at Jeshua's suggestion. She hadn't thought of that. "It's said that the men and women weren't separated when bathing," Jeshua says.

Still Alexis hesitates. She has scars of her own and Jeshua is known for his taste in women.

Jeshua can see that she wants to but that something is holding her back. "If you really don't want to, we don't have to. I'll come back some other time to use them." He's pretty sure that he can get permission from Grey.

"I do, the water looks inviting and all. It's just," she sighs. "We've seen each other around camp Lt. but you've never asked me out. Your reputation of a womanizer is almost if not as bad as that of general Grey's. In spite of that I like you."

Jeshua knows there's a but coming. He's a little lost on things. He's learned that if he's patient women usually tell him what's bothering them and so he waits.

"Ari, general Grey's prisoner, her body is covered in scars from abuse. She was badly hurt several times over a span of years. She isn't the only one.

"I don't go showing my scars to everyone Lt. Mine aren't as extensive as Ari's but they are ugly." Alexis turns from him. So much truth to someone she hasn't spent much time with was difficult.

For Jeshua's part he's angry. Angry that someone would do that. He'd suspected about Ari but Alexis's confirmation doesn't help. Her revelation that she herself was abused makes him furious. But he controls his anger. He's seen how Ari reacts around angry men and he doesn't want Alexis afraid of him.

"So you're saying that it's too soon to show me your scars? That's alright Alexis. We'll go find something else to do. We can start our way back up it's getting close to the hour general Grey specified anyway. If it's alright with you I'll walk you back to your tent?"

Alexis breathes a little easier. She smiles at him and happily joins him. "I see that your reputation is well earned." Jeshua tucks her arm in his and smiles but he's beginning to hate the reputation he's so rightly earned.

Desperate to change the subject Jeshua finally lands on one after they get to the apartment. When they see that it is indeed empty they quickly gather up the trays and all and leave. Jeshua makes sure that the door is completely closed before he says anything.

"It's general Grey that I feel sorry for." He says to break the silence that they'd been walking in. He keeps his voice down, Grey has a bad habit of turning up unexpectedly when you talk about him.

Alexis wants to keep the conversation going, as long as it isn't about her. "Oh, why's that Lt?"

"Call me Jeshua, Lt. We're the same rank no need to call me by it. Any way I feel sorry for Grey because he's fallen hard for Ari. I don't think he's even realized it yet." Jeshua says as they slowly make their way back to camp.