20

"We should be getting back." Taren says as he kisses Anna.

Anna sighs. Taren is right. She's keeping him from his duties. "And I should have left before now. I'm sure that Grey is getting very impatient with my still being here."

Taren laughs. "Not a chance Anna. He's caught up in his troubles with Ari and the damn tribunal. If anything he's thankful that you are here. He can trust you to be with Ari and not hurt her, unlike most of us."

Anna smiles and kisses Taren back. "He trusts you Taren. He most definitely trusts you."

Taren sits back and asks, "Why do you say that so assuredly?"

Anna replies with a straight face. "You're still alive." She means it. Anyone that Grey doesn't like tends to leave. Some are heard from again. A few, a very few aren't. She doesn't have any proof, but she thinks that Grey killed them.

Taren smiles. "Grey would do anything for you Anna you know that. But he has never killed anyone in cold blood. I know that there are people that you've seen that you have no clue where they are but Grey keeps tabs on them all. They're just terrified of Grey."

Anna is relieved. "But you are aware that if you ever hurt me Grey would kill you."

"I have absolutely no doubt of it whatsoever. I thought long and hard over the whole idea of even asking you out. I enjoy my life and living. But I decided that you are worth the chance. And I'm glad that I did. Grey told me that he's happy that you are happy." And with that Taren stands up and helps Anna stand as well.

Anna takes his arm and he walks back towards the springs. Anna muses on Grey some more. "He's going to take it hard when she dies isn't he Taren?"

"He's fallen hard for her. It will be hard for him. I wish there was something we could do to help." Taren says morosely. Grey has been his best friend for as long as he can remember.

"There is a way." The voice comes from Taren.

Anna sighs, "I really wish you wouldn't do that it scares me."

The tree voice ignores her and continues. "There is a way. We don't wish for the chosen to die either. There is a way to save her but she must die."

Anna shakes her head. "You're not making any sense. She has to die so she doesn't die? How do you die so you don't die?"

"Ahh, I see. Her body must die. It is the only way to cleanse the poison from it. But if the magic is strong enough we can heal her and she will live. This is very desirable for us. She carries the blood a strong amount of the proper blood. All those that come and receive have that blood.

"Your people, the army of the general also have the blood. It seems the Aelven have intermingled with your people enough to leave behind an affinity for magic." The voice explains. "That is why so many of those we test are receiving. And that is good, but the chosen her blood is more than half. She is strong and should she live she would help spread the magic and save this world," the voice continues.

"That's lovely and all but you're forgetting the tribunal. They'll order her death even if she wasn't already dying."

"Yes, the chosen is aware. She has asked the general to take her life and he has agreed," the voice is smug.

Anna is blown away by this information. "What?"

"Just last night he has agreed to end her life. If the weapon is properly prepared then her life when it ends can end a great deal of hatred. We will prepare it soon. He will need it before he will be able to come down here again," the voice says.