21

"You need to start now." The voice says. "No fire, use magic to heat it, it's a more consistent heating method. Combine the liquids one at a time, doesn't matter the order, but do it slowly. Once the liquid is fully mixed the whole thing will change color, once that has happened you can add the next liquid. Further instructions when that is done." And just like that the voice is gone once more.

"Well I guess I'd better get started." Anna says and looks at the huge amounts of liquids there were to mix. "I have no idea what temperature this should be mixed together at."

"So it stays at a low boil. Too much boiling will ruin the potion." The voice once more takes over Taren.

Anna hopes she doesn't ruin it, she hasn't cooked in years. She used to sneak into the kitchen when she was a kid and the cook would show her how things were made. As she grew older the cook had her help. But once her parents died there wasn't time for things like that anymore.

Since the trees didn't say anything different Anna assumes they want the whole of each liquid to be poured into the mixture. "If she has to drink all of this, poor girl." There were well over twenty containers of liquids and several dishes holding the solid ingredients.

"The mixture will render down to a teapot full of liquid, a small teapot. She will not have to drink the entire mixture all at once but it will be necessary for her to ingest it all." The voice says in reply to Anna's statement. Anna still feels sorry for Ari. That is still a lot of liquid she'll be ingesting.

Coming away from the springs Grey stops in surprise. A long line of his people stand there. "We are most pleased general, it seems that many if not most of your people wish to be tested. And of those tested so far, eight out of every ten have at least a minor ability. We are very pleased about that." The voice comes from a man waiting in line to be tested.

"Lovely," Grey's voice says one thing but his tone implies other. "How many have you tested so far?"

"We have tested over one hundred of your men. But there seems to be some disquiet amongst them at this time. It seems word has reached them that some people from the tribunal will be here earlier than planned. They will be here soon," The voice replies.

"Dammit!"Grey really didn't need to hear that. He was looking forward to spending some quality time with Ari, even if that meant taking his paperwork along with him.

"You'd better change Grey. If they see you like this there will be questions you won't be able to answer without showing them the vault. And if they knew about the vault then they'd destroy the trees," Ari says, she'll defend the vault and the trees, but she is only one person.

"Very well. Stay right here I'll be right back." Grey says and slips back into the vegetation that will cover him while he changes.

Ari watches him with sad eyes. "There is a chance, Chosen. The same chance as the other you took. It worked for her, it could work for you," the voice says.

Ari smiles sadly. "That Ariele has a Grey that loves her. Sex is not love. He doesn't love me, and I don't know if I love him."

"The chance will be there. There is no guarantee that it will work, but it is there. Will you take that chance or will you let him think that he killed an innocent woman for the rest of his life?" The voice asks.

Ari turns and faces the other. She narrows her eyes as she looks at him, "Just who the hell are you and what is your interest in all this anyway?"

"We told you who we are when you first came in here. Our interest is we would rather you lived. We can remove the poison from your body once you are dead. Healing the body won't be hard. The hard part is for you to come back. Will you take the chance and try or will you leave him here condemned in his own mind?" The voice demands right back.