Chapter Seven - The Smile Games

Your POV:

My alarm goes off. School. I shot up then looked down at my arms, instantly remembering what happened last night. I instantly felt the pain. I just threw my hair up, put on a hoodie and some sweat pants then some shoes and called it good. I'm too depressed to try to look "good". His voice is still haunting my brain.

"I'll wait for you."

I can't get it out of my head. His voice still sounds as sweet as frosting. His voice still has me melting. I can't tell if my heart is melting or dying anymore. I'm a zombie.

"Emma! Are you awake? It's a quarter after 6!"

I sigh deeply. A school day, where I have to act happy. I wonder if Mark is happy with that girl. If he is, he is already doing better than me, that's for sure.

____________________________________________________________________________

Mark's POV:

I woke up and rolled over. She's there, next to me. I smile for a moment, then feel my heart breaking. She's not Emma. I can't love Emma anymore, I'm too old for her. I can't love her, but I do. What have I done? I guess it's too late now, I've already lost her, to the girl next to me right now. I lost her to Amy. I feel her move, so I put my arm around her and went back to bed. Amy cannot see me like this or else I might loose her too.

__________________________________________________________________________

Your POV:

I survived half of this school day. Music is really your best friend in these situations. I haven't spoken to anybody all day and class has been so slow. It's like the world around me is dying. Everybody has just been shooting me sympathetic looks. I just smiled back because I know not one of them know what I'm going through. Nobody knew I was talking to Mark like that. Not even my closest friend did. Marylin probably saw through me, but she never said anything. I wish Marylin still went to school here. I miss her. We still see each other, which i great, but I need her right now. I need her to cry on. I need her to tell me how much of a douche Mark is and how I can do better, even though that's not true. Not at all. Mark is so sweet and I could never do better than Mark. I still cannot believe he's actually gone. I wonder what her name is. How long have they known each other? Why her? I faked a smile and acted like I was totally okay, but the hardest part is the fact that nobody knows that I am falling apart. Mark thinks I'm just mad, but I've been holding back more tears then one would ever know. I wish I wasn't breathing. I wish I couldn't feel the pain anymore. On the inside. On the outside, I just smile. I've still got the skills to survive the smile games.

__________________________________________________________________________

Mark's POV:

I'm done editing for the day, so I choose to hang out with Amy. She's smiling and laughing. I am too, but mine aren't real. Amy is pretty, but she isn't Emma. Being next to Amy makes me miss her way more then I should. What is wrong with me? I can't love Emma, it's wrong. Why do I love Emma? All I can do is fake a smile for Amy. The smile games have started and I don't think I'm going to win. I'm with somebody at this very moment but I couldn't feel anymore alone.

___________________________________________________________________________

Your POV:

We too feel alone

I felt myself die when I heard it. "Danger, Keep Away" Slipknot. One song that explains my exact feeling at this very moment. I cannot take this hell anymore.

"Mrs. Raven, may I please use the bathroom?" I quickly say.

"Yes, just take a pass."

I grabbed the pass and ran out and down the hall, in tears. I slammed the bathroom door shut behind me and fell to the ground. I can't stop shaking. I loved him. I really freaking loved him.

What if I never see you again?

I laid down and curled up on the floor. He's really gone.

I'd die right next to you in the end

I buried my face in my knees. It hurts so much. I don't want to live anymore. I eventually get myself under control and go to the nurse. I faked throwing up. I want to go home. I went to Choir and grabbed my things.

"Mrs. Raven, I've been sent home."

Not a word. Everybody was staring at me. I said I got sick but I fear that they all see through my lies. I hope they don't see through my lies. I grabbed my car keys out of my locker and go out to my car. I get behind the steering wheel. Is it safe for me to drive? Probably not.

I began to drive home, ignoring the voices in my head telling me to crash the car. A part of me feels like I might not make it home tonight.