Chapter Fifteen - Call Your Mom

Emma's POV

"Am I really in California?" I asked, generally confused as I stood in Mark's prescience.

"Wait, you didn't know?" Mark asked.

He doesn't know I ran from home. He has no idea how I'm even here. I gotta change the topic.

"Hey, you went back to black hair!" I said.

"Not so fast, Emma." He caught on. "Get in my car, I'm taking you to my house. You aren't safe out here."

________________________________________________

He unlocks the door and Chicka runs to his side. I look around for a second and sit on the couch, dropping my bag to the ground in front of me. Mark follows me to the couch and sits next to me, looking down at my bag.

"Where's your mom? Does she even know where you are?" He asked sternly.

"No," I whispered.

"What happened?"

"My therapist didn't care about me and my life at home kept me from happiness," I said. "So I ran from home. Hitchhiked to Colorado with this really nice lady, I still have her phone number in my pocket. I enjoyed Colorado for a while and then looked for my next ride. I got into this car with a man. I slept all the way til he parked the car somewhere, I didn't know where I was. He tried to take my shirt off and come onto me so I stopped him. He got angry and threw me out of the car and my bag at me. I ran to the closest sidewalk, which is where you found me."   

"You know your mom is probably worried sick. I was worried when I didn't hear from you for two days."

"I've been gone for two days?"

"I guess so. You need to call your mom and tell you where you are."

"I can't. I don't want to go home."

"Emma. You have to."

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and called my mom.

Ring Ring

"Emma?" She sounded worried.

"Mom."

"Where are you?"

"California."

"Are you alright."

"Yes mom. I'm just fine."

"Do you want me to come get you?"

"I want to live out here mom. I don't want to go back to Missouri."

"Are you with anybody?"

"Originally, no. but I ran into Mark in California. He brought me back to his home and told me to call you."

"Good. How about we make a deal."

"Okay?"

"If Mark will let you stay with him, you can stay for a month. I'm getting you after the month is up. Deal?"

"I guess."

I hung up. I didn't want to tell her I loved her. She doesn't understand me. Not a bit.

"Mark?" I asked.

"Yes?" He replied, almost instantly.

"Can I stay here for a month? Mom can't get me til the end of the month."

"Of course you can, Emma."