Chapter Fourteen - Counseling

Your POV

"Mom, please don't make me," I pleaded in the car.

"I don't have a choice, Emmaline," she said sternly.

She's never used my full name before. Ouch.

I grabbed my jacket to cover my arms. I really don't want to talk about it. I can't talk about the truth. What really happened. Mark would get in so much trouble. Mom doesn't even know the truth. I walked into the office.

"Emma, take a seat," my counselor said.

I sat down and cleared my throat. "I'm actually fine now. I don't think I need this anymore."

"You still haven't told me why you did it."

"I was heavily bullied," I lied.

"Why did you do it?"

"I believed what they all said, I started to hate myself too."

"What did you believe?"

"That I was fat and slutty and ugly and bitchy and dumb and more."

"Are you a virgin?"

"No, I was raped last year."

"And this was over bullying?"

"Yes, the whole rape thing went down last year, I was suicidal last year but was let go." 

"Interesting."

This isn't how counseling goes. He doesn't care. I continued to answer his questions and finally, I was let go. I have a plan. I ran home, I packed up only the important things, like my blanket and food and water. I wrote a note to mom.

"Dear mom,

this will probably be hard but I'm leaving. I'm done here. If you truly love me, don't come looking for me. I'll return one day. I'll be living out there and I'll be happy. Trust me. None of this has anything to do with you or dad or even my brother. This is all because I feel like this is truly what I want. I'm sorry this is how it's ending.

Love,

Emma"

I hung it on the fridge and I grabbed all the money I had saved up since I was fourteen. With that, I left. I didn't just leave, I ran. I ran as far as I could, not knowing where I was going. I just knew I was going far. Once I hit the main road, I was far gone.

I lifted my hand in the air, holding up my thumb for a ride. I walked slowly up the road, hoping that somebody, anybody would pull over. Finally, a nice lady pulled over.

"Where you heading, hun?"

"I don't care, anywhere."

"You don't have a location?"

"Nope I'm just hitchhiking," I lied. I'm getting good at lying.

"Okay sweetheart."

We started driving, no location, no idea where she's gonna drop me off.

"I just want to let you know, I'm heading home from my family. I live out of state."

"Good."

"I live in Denver Colorado, its about an 11 and a half hour drive. Do you just wanna be dropped off there?"

"Yeah"

With that, it went quiet. I put in my headphones, turned on My Chemical Romance and drifted off to sleep.

_______________________________________________________

I felt somebody shake me.

"I don't know how you did it, but you slept for 11 hours, we got half an hour left"

"Oh, thank you."

Colorado is beautiful.

"Just drop me off here, It's beautiful here so I think I wanna enjoy the few for a little bit."

"Oh, okay"

She pulled over and dropped me off then handed me a slip of paper.

"If anything comes up or you come back to Colorado anytime, give me a call."

I smiled at her, "thank you".

I put the paper in my pocket and continued to walk around. All these mountains and green grass was truly breath taking. I can't stay here too long. I sat in the grass and ate a snack and drank a bottle of water then walked to the main road and began looking for another ride. I just rather be as far from home as possible. A man pulled over. I jumped in, but not a word was said.

I put my music in and listened to music as we drove.

_________________________________________________________

We've been driving for a long time now, I have no Idea where we were. Suddenly, he stopped the car and came onto me.

"Hey stop," I said in my half asleep voice.

"Come on," He started trying to take off my shirt.

I pushed him off of me and he got pissed off. He opened the door and pushed me out of the car. I grabbed my bag off the ground and ran. I got to the sidewalk of this busy place. Where am I? I laid under shade because of the heat. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, this area isn't very safe for girls," I heard a deep voice warn me.

I turned around and felt my heart drop.

"Emma?"

"Mark."