Thanksgiving

Chelsea decided to take a cab instead of the bus to the shelter.  Something about being on the bus on Thanksgiving was just depressing.  Sure, the cab fare was expensive but it was worth it.   She stepped out of the cab and took a moment to look at the shelter.  The unsuspecting building favored a business, cold and grey on the exterior.   She sipped the last, cold bit of her Starbucks and smiled as she walked to a trashcan. 

“Explain something to me.”  A male voice said.  She ignored it, assuming he wasn’t talking to her.  “Why are you doing it?  Is he paying you?”  The man kept talking, Chelsea kept ignoring.  “Clearly the have you trained, ignoring me like a pro.”

The last statement caught her attention.  “You’re talking to me?” She turned and faced the man.  He had an expensive camera around his neck, but he wasn’t taking pictures.  Chelsea immediately regretted speaking to him and felt nervous.  “I don’t know you.”

The man smiled.  He had a nice smile.  He looked to be on the upper side of thirty, not far from forty.  The crow’s feet near his eyes gave him away.  “I know you, Chelsea Garcia.”   No matter how kind his smile was, it was creepy that he knew her name.  He began to rattle of facts about her.   She shook her head and waved her hands slightly, “Ok, ok, ok.”

“So how about it, what’s in it for you?”

“I don’t know what it is.”  Chelsea was thoroughly confused.

“Is it like a PR exchange?  He looks good and you look less good? I mean your reputation could not be less spotless.  You shine you’re so pure and clean.  Sick of that good girl act?”

A lightbulb clicked on at the same moment anger filled her body.  How dare this guy? What he was insinuating infuriated her.  Chelsea knew she had to choose her words carefully.   Whatever she said, however she reacted, immediately reflected Chris and if this guy thought Chris was using her she didn’t want to give him any indication that he could be right.  Reacting angrily might make him think he was right.  Chelsea prepared to walk away when she felt a hand grab her. 

“Just ignore scum like that,” a woman with long, flowing brown hair was holding her hand and guiding her into the building.  The tall, slender beauty had an interesting accent.  And she was stunning.  Chelsea had to force herself not to stare.  The woman’s skin was flawless, her hair shimmered and she had that accent.  Sometimes life wasn’t fair.   As soon as they walked into building the woman dropped her hand.  “You’re too nice.  More than I expected.  I guess opposites attracting must be true.”

Chelsea stopped.  Suddenly the beauty was familiar.  She’d seen her picture in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and People.   And that People picture was with Chris Pine.  Holy crap.  She didn’t know what to say.  The last phrase, ‘opposites attracting must be true,’ seemed like a jab at Chris.  It made her mad, but the uncomfortable nature of the situation outweighed her anger.  Chelsea just kept her mouth shut and walked in.  But the model kept talking.  She chatted on about how annoying paparazzi were.   The woman guided Chelsea through the sign in process and made sure they were right next to each other in the serving line.  Chelsea served potatoes while the exotic beauty (her name Chelsea still hadn’t caught) put gravy onto the plate.  She kept talking about how intrusive photographers like that were, while making sure to say not all photographers were bad.  Afterall, they were the basis of her livelihood.

“I can’t say too much,” Chelsea finally spoke. “I had a subscription to People magazine up until my move here.”

The woman laughed and lightly touched Chelsea’s arm, “I read Perez Hilton, I won’t judge.”

The entire mood shifted.  Suddenly they were swapping stupid gossip stories about Brad and Angelina, Lindsey Lohan, and the like.  They giggled like old friends, which made the afternoon fly by.  The air, which had felt awkward and heavy, suddenly was light as it should be.  Though they were having a lot of fun, the focus went to where it should, the people needed a good warm meal.  Chelsea and the statuesque beauty joked with the people as they got food.  They shared smiles with everyone walking through the like.  Occasionally they would whisper how lucky they were as they watched the less fortunate enjoy the meal. And at the end of their serving period,  they even walked out together.