That Conversation Pt. 3

"I could definitely nap now. Or eat." Chelsea said as she played with the line of hairs traveling south from Chris' belly button.

"Mmmmm," Chris said in agreement, running his hand slowly through Chelsea's hair. He kissed the side of her head and mumbled, "I love you." He watched her smile as she continued to draw lazy circles on his stomach.

"I love you," Chris wasn't sure he'd ever grow tired of hearing her say that. It was reassuring.

"I love you," he repeated.

"You said that already," she murmured, continuing to create designs on his body. He shivered and she looked up at him.

"I think it's time to have that talk," he said. Chelsea groaned. "We shouldn't avoid it."

Chelsea loved that pronoun, we. "Sure we can." She rubbed his stomach with more force, moving her hand downward. Chris instinctively closed his eyes, enjoying her touch before he realized what she was doing.

"No!" He batted her hand away.

Chelsea sighed. "Can we just pretend it never happened?"

A soft smile played on Chris' lips, he had literally had that same thought just a few hours earlier, yet he knew better. "We could. But we're both adults, you know we should talk about it." As the words came out of his mouth they surprised him. When relationships reached their breaking point he notoriously hit the road. He had a slew of excuses, distance, career, etc. Uncomfortable conversations were expertly avoided. He could weasel out of anything, but he didn't want to now.

Chelsea groaned again. "I hate talking." Chris laughed. "I'm serious." She stretched and he took her in. She was still completely naked. He reached forward and traced the scar on her stomach. She sucked her stomach in. An immediate rush of guilt overcame him. Chelsea was very aware of the models he'd dated. He wondered if she compared herself and that was why she instinctively pulled her tummy in. Her body told a story; a story of pain and triumph. He could look at her all day. "Let's do this now, so we can enjoy the weekend."

Chelsea curled up against his body, resting her head on his still slightly sweaty chest. His heart beat created a slow, steady beat in her ears. Where did she even begin?

"I'll just listen." Chris said into her hair.

"I don't know where to begin." Her lazy circles were now being drawn around his nipples, and he could feel himself getting ready for round two. With a deep calming breath he grabbed her hand, laced his fingers through hers, and laid their hands flat on his chest. "Take your time."

Chelsea looked at their hands. Chris' hands were large, well manicured and surprisingly soft. His skin was so much tanner than hers. He brushed his thumb against hers and she sighed. "Can I just ask you questions?"

He hesitated, "Of course."

"Why?"

Again, he paused. "Why?"

"Just why?"

Chris didn't want to answer this question. More than anything, he didn't want to admit the bad choices. Telling Chelsea he broke up a marriage would surely cause him to think less of him. The idea literally caused him physical pain and he winced. "What do you mean?"

"Why did you need me?"

"Oh God, Chels. I need you for so many reasons. You bring out this better part of me. I feel wonderful around you, different. I look at you, overcoming all you have, and indescribably feel that I can do anything when I'm around you. I feel more. I am more." He felt her cheeks raise in a smile against his chest.