Chelsea

Chris left so quickly Chelsea didn't really have time to think. She touched her lips, which were warm from the kiss. It was partially because of the intensity and partially because of his scruff. Then she looked at the envelope. It was just an ordinary white envelope. Her name wasn't written on it. It wasn't even sealed, the back was just tucked in. She brushed her thumb across it, but didn't open it. Slowly, she walked into the house, ignoring everything Drew shouted in her direction and started to climb the stairs.

Drew grabbed her arm, "Are you listening to me?"

Chelsea turned, looked at where his arm held the crook of hers, and then at his eyes. His gaze bore into hers, he was so angry. Drew then noticed the envelope in her hand and snatched it away.

You could have counted five seconds, like a child counting Mississippis, before Chelsea even moved to grab at the envelope.

"What is this?" Drew examined it as if he'd never seen a white envelope before.

"I don't know."

"A love note?"

"Probably not, maybe, you should give it back," Chelsea said with surprising calm as she made her way back down the few stairs to Drew. Drew just sat on the couch and began to stare at the envelope. Chelsea joined him. They sat in prolonged silence. "I got the job," Chelsea said as she folded her hands under her knees.

"Really?" Drew traced the edges of the envelope with his rough fingertips. "That's awesome."

"Yeah." Chelsea glanced at the it. "I don't know when I start or anything. I just was given the official offer a few minutes ago."

"That's fast."

"Yeah. I'm going to have to start working on my certification."

"You seem really excited about it," Drew said dryly.

"I'm just processing everything," Chelsea mumbled pulling her hands out from under her knees, they'd turned red from the momentary pressure. She rubbed them together. "Life's going crazy right now."

Drew placed the envelope on her lap, "Including that huh?"

Sighing, she picked it up, "Yep." A few more moments of silence followed. "I don't even want to open it. I finally," she stopped and laughed, "like it's been a long time, it totally hasn't. Anyway, I feel a good sense of closure. I am thankful for the craziness that is Chris Pine. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even have this job. I applied the night he randomly showed up all drunk."

"He what?"

Chelsea forgot she hadn't told Drew about that night. "No matter. He definitely restored..."

Drew cut her off, "Your confidence. I can tell. I can't hate him completely because of it."

Chelsea smiled, "Me neither." She flipped the envelope over and over again in her lap. Then Drew snatched it away.

"You're not going to open it are you?" Chelsea shook her head. "Can I?"

Chelsea pondered this. Drew had known her so long, she couldn't imagine anything Chris would write in any sort of letter that she'd be embarrassed for Drew to know. Well, there were a few things, very personal, very private, very intimate things. Chris wouldn't write about that. Would he?

She didn't have time to to worry about it too much, Drew had opened it and unfolded the one piece of white paper. Chelsea squeezed her eyes shut. "Wow," Drew whispered.

"Geez, I don't think I want to know!" Chelsea leaned forward, putting her elbows on her knees and buried her face in her hands.

"Well, you probably do."

A muffled "uh uh" came from Chelsea's concealed face.

"It's an itinerary, Chels." Drew placed the unfolded paper on her lap. Gradually, Chelsea moved her hands, picking up the paper. There was no handwriting whatsoever on it, it was a printout of a flight. Confused, Chelsea's forehead wrinkles appeared again. "That's so weird. I don't need, nor do I really care to know, his flight plan."

"Um, no." Drew pointed to the top of the printout.

"Oh."

There at the top of the paper in bold print was her full name. Chelsea Grace Garcia.

"Look at where you're going!" Drew was attempting to mask his excitement. Like Chelsea, he'd been bitten by the travel-bug. Drew hadn't been as many places as Chelsea, but they shared a common love for off the beaten path trips. He was a little too excited about where Chelsea knew this ticket was to.

"It's not that fantastic, Drew." She didn't even have to read the rest of the paper. Los Angeles to New York, then New York to Paris, she just knew it. Chelsea leaned back against the couch and stared at the ceiling. " It's rather cliche. Paris. Do you know how many models he's probably paraded through those streets? How many girls has he taken to the glittering Eiffel Tower? I mean, I haven't been to Paris and it's exciting and all. I mean, the Louvre! But I ran into one of his ex girlfriends on Thanksgiving and she warned me about going to France."

"You should stop talking."

"I know, I'm girl rambling, I'm sorry."

"Just read the thing." Drew patted her knee, got up and headed to the kitchen.

Chelsea grabbed the plain white envelope to stick the paper back in. She looked at it, she did really like the idea of just packing a bag and flying to Paris. Who does that? A small smile played on her lips and she read the outline of flights. LAX to JFK, small layover, JFK to AMS. Chelsea stopped. AMS? Wasn't the airport in Paris Charles de Gualle? How does that abbreviate to AMS?

"Drew?"

"You figured out that's not Paris didn't you? I have to admit, he's impressed me a bit with this move. I didn't see it coming. Clearly, he knows you better than I thought." Drew called from the kitchen. Chelsea was just about to ask Drew if he as being sarcastic when Drew continued, "Did you go to the Getty together and fawn over your favorite painting?"

Bewildered, she asked, "What is AMS?"

"Amsterdam."

Chelsea felt as if the breath had been knocked out of her. "Oh. My. Goodness."