Chris

Chris sat in the airport lounge attempting to read a newspaper. War here and starvation there, Chelsea was right, the world could be a very depressing place. He thumbed through the pages and searched for an upbeat story. Definitely not his normal style, but it was a nice change of pace. He paused to look at his phone, still no messages. He'd really expected to hear from her, but nothing.

A sinking feeling filled his stomach, what if she just tore it up and threw it away? He hadn't printed the boarding passes yet, he couldn't. The flight was still a little less than a week away, it was the next weekend plus a Monday. The junket in Paris was on Saturday, he'd already figured out how to explain that he wouldn't stay the whole day, fly in to Amsterdam Saturday evening. That gave him Saturday night, Sunday and Monday. His assistant was rerouting his flight to Sydney as he sat at the airport. Hopefully he'd leave early Tuesday out of Amsterdam, giving him Monday night as well. Taking a deep breath, Chris hoped a long weekend would be enough. He laughed and shook his head as he thought, she has to actually agree to meeting you in the Netherlands first.

On cue his phone buzzed.

Chelsea Garcia: AMS? Amsterdam?

He smiled.

Chris: Yes. I'll send you the information for checking in and printing your boarding passes. It's too early to do that now.

Chelsea Garcia: Chris, I can't go to Amsterdam.

He wasn't sure how to respond.

Chris: Why?

Chelsea Garcia: Lots of reasons!

Chris: Give me on good one.

He secretly hoped this good reason he was demanding would not have anything to do with him lying to her.

Chelsea Garcia: I have a job. Technically, I have two! I can't just leave the country. And what about visas? Do I need one? I needed one for Cambodia and Brazil. I can't just leave the country.

She repeated herself. He could picture her all uncomfortable and excited, like she had been on many of their dates.

Chris: Shouldn't you be quitting one job and going to the other? Teachers don't work on the weekends. No, you don't need a visa, you'll be fine. It's Amsterdam.

Chelsea Garcia: Shows what you know, teachers work a lot on the weekends. Grading, lesson planning, RTI, there's lots to do on the weekend.

Chris imagined her fighting the urge to send him a winky face to let him know she was messing with him.

Chris: You start this week? Will you already have grading? It sounds to me like you're grasping at straws Ms. Garcia. You have no excuses. I will arrange for a car. Make sure you have your passport, pack for cold weather. I will see you in Amsterdam on Saturday.

Several minutes passed and she hadn't responded. His flight was called to board, as he gathered his things he paused long enough to send one last text. But she beat him to the punch.

Chelsea Garcia: Why do you think I would want to go to Amsterdam? That's not exactly my scene... I have to put in notice at Disney. I have to fill out paperwork. I'm not making excuses, that is also not my style. I can't make any promises, Chris. It's not simple

Chris: I know, it's not easy to just trust me and hop on a plane. I know you have a lot going on at this moment and I am so proud of you for that. I promise, it will be worthwhile. Just give me those two days. Please, Chelsea, meet me in Amsterdam on Saturday. I'm getting on my flight now. I'll text you later?

He left it as a question, asking permission to continue communication but not expecting it. He sat in his seat, leaned his head back, closed his eyes and did something he hadn't done in years: he prayed.