That Conversation Pt. 1

Conversation in the cab to the hotel was minimal. Occasionally Chris would point out a place he'd been or something they should see while they were there over the weekend. Chelsea listened, but only slightly. Absentmindedly, she touched her lips. She could tell from the faint reflection in the cab window that they were red. The two days worth of scruff on Chris' face were to blame for that.

Chris smiled, watching her. He was fairly certain she wasn't listening to him. He was also fairly certain she was thinking about kissing him in the snow in front of the Van Gogh Museum. Chris watched as she continued to stare out the window. While he talked occasionally about different things to do in Amsterdam, he watched her. Her hair had fallen, blocking his view of her face. Chris reached out and pushed the hair behind her ear. Immediately she turned to look at him.

He ran his hand along the side of her face, down her jawline and tilted her chin up, forcing her to maintain eye contact. "I cannot believe you're here."

Chelsea didn't now how to respond. As the old buildings passed by in the flurry of flakes she had been weighing out her emotions. Angry, she was definitely angry. But then the thoughtfulness of it all overwhelmed her. He didn't have a junket in Amsterdam. He specifically picked this city because of that museum, she just knew it. The thought made her smile.

"What are you thinking?" Chris asked.

Chelsea focused intently on not rolling her eyes. Oh how she hated that question. It seemed like something sixteen-year-olds would ask each other while seated in a car on a back road after an awkward date. He brushed her face again. "It's really hard to think when you keep doing that." And he did it again, smirking as he did so. Then he pulled her towards him and kissed her forehead. "I'm really glad you're here." He left his lips on her forehead, breathing deeply through his nose. Chelsea closed her eyes and leaned into him, sighing. "Are you ok?" He wrapped his arms around her. Regardless of her anger, she couldn't deny how wonderful this felt.

"I'm tired." Chelsea whispered. Chris moved his face back and she took the opportunity to lay her head his shoulder. The material of the jacket was rough, his shoulder tough and muscular, yet it was so comfortable. He leaned his head on hers and turned and kissed it. "Well, there's not much time but you can sleep if that's what you want." He didn't mask his disappointment. Chelsea didn't reply. She knew he was right, it was a very short weekend. But her eyelids were so heavy, the cab was so warm, and she was so cozy. Soon she drifted off to sleep.

Chris felt her rhythmic breathing and her head felt heavier on his shoulder. He leaned his head back against the seat and allowed himself to nap briefly too.

The driver softly woke them up when they arrived at the hotel. Chris kissed the side of her head again. With shut eyes, Chelsea smiled and stretched. "We're here." Chris slid out of the car, hustling around and opening the door for her. Groggily, Chelsea climbed out. The hotel facade was old and lined with various flags. A doorman rushed down the stairs, quickly taking the bag out of Chris' hands and guiding them into building. Chris kept his hand on the small of Chelsea's back as he guided her to the elevator, which they rode to the top floor.

Though she was sleepy, Chelsea was still very aware of her surroundings. She hadn't seen what the name of the hotel was, but it was obviously high end. Glamorous, yet understated mirrors lined the hallway. The floor was a deep, soft carpet that looked comfortable enough to sleep on. There were very few doors, which indicated the rooms were substantial. They kept walking to the end of the hall. Chris slid the key card and opened the door.

Until that moment Chelsea hadn't really thought about the implications of traveling to see Chris. Of course there would only be one room. There were some major insinuations that came with that one room. Chris held the door open and ushered her inside.

"Wow." She whispered. It was much more than a room and more than a suite. They walked into a elegant entry way. Chris turned to the left and walked through small kitchen and through an open doorway. It led to a bedroom, he tossed the bag onto the bed that was covered in a classy white duvet. Then he made his way back to her. The assumptions running through her mind made their way to her face, Chris could read it loud and clear.

"That's your room." He walked past her and to the right of the entryway. "This one is mine," he said as he gestured to the door that mirrored the room he threw her bag into. Then he walked into a large living area.

"This is gigantic."

"Yeah."

An awkward silence passed as Chelsea walked to the large window, pushed the curtains aside and looked out on the snowy scenery below them. Chris watched her, her slender silhouette outlined by the grey light. Slowly, carefully he walked behind her. Chelsea could feel his warmth sneaking up behind her. She felt him pause, standing only a few inches behind her so she stepped backward. Her back pressed against his chest. The small gesture was encouraging to Chris, he wrapped his arms around her waist, bent his head down, and breathed in the clean smell of her hair. "I'm so glad you're here."

"I think I'm going to take a nap."

Chris sighed.

"Just a little one. A powernap."

Chris nodded. She could feel his disappointment, his arms slacked and no longer held her tight. It made her feel guilty, which she didn't understand. But most of her emotions lately she didn't understand. While traveling, she had been so excited to see Chris. Now that he was here, or rather she was here, she felt strange. Being upset yet so happy at the same time was confounding.

And then there was that kiss. That impossibly romantic kiss while snowflakes tickled their noses and bit their cheeks. That slow, delicate kiss. That completely love filled kiss.

Before Chris could completely end the embrace Chelsea turned around with difficulty placing her own hands over his, behind her back, to keep his arms around her. His eyes widened, he hadn't expected this. Chelsea looked up at him. Again, in the grey light, his eyes took on a grey hue. And as handsome as he was, like every other human being she could see his flaws up close. Chelsea had never really noticed how large his head was. It was big. The thought made her grin. Her grin made him smile.

When Chelsea was sure he wasn't going to let go she released her grip and moved her hands up to his neck. Gently she twirled her fingers in the hair at the back of his neck. It was an wonderful feeling that caused Chris to close his eyes and sigh. "I'm exhausted, but I am happy to be here too. I promise. It's just a lot to take in. I mean, I flew first class. I'm in the biggest hotel room I have never been in in my life. And you're right here." She mimicked his movements earlier, running her hand along the side of his face and down his jaw. The skin on her nose bunched as the stiff facial hair scratched at her fingertips. "I want to spend every moment with you, I want to soak it all in. I do. But..."

As Chelsea paused Chris groaned slightly.

"I know," she whispered, "I know. But I think we definitely need to talk about everything. I think I deserve the whole truth. Not an abridged version on the sidewalk in front of my house. I want it all. Is that too much to ask?"

Chris opened his eyes and slowly shook his head.

"And I really want a nap."

He chuckled. "Ok, go take a nap." But Chelsea didn't budge. He smiled, "Go take your nap." She still remained right there, arms lazily wrapped around his neck with his tight around her waist. He started to loosen his grip. "Go."

Chelsea pushed herself up on her tip-toes, brushed her nose against Chris', and whispered, "But."

He chortled softly, "But?"

"I want to spend every moment with you, it's a dilemma." She brushed her nose against his in an Eskimo kiss sort of way. His lips parted in anticipation. "Nap with me?"

He clutched her waist firmly. "Of course." Chelsea smiled, kissed the tip of his nose, and turned to walk to the room he had designated as hers. "I can't guarantee much napping though."