Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23:

When I got home, I quickly showered and changed into a white sundress, white sandals, and wrapped my hair into a bun. I checked that my Nikon camera was ready, with plenty of film, and quickly zipped the case. I walked back into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I decided to add some red lipstick along with cat-eye eyeliner. I texted Trevor that I was leaving and walked outside to my truck. I climbed in, sat my camera bag in the passenger seat, and turned my key in the ignition. A loud sound suddenly erupted and the truck went dead. "Are you freaking kidding me?!" I yelled. I climbed out of my truck and slammed the door.

I looked across the street and noticed that Trevor hadn't left yet. I scrambled for my phone and clicked on his number in my contacts. He picked up after two rings. "Hey. I was about to leave. And yes before you yell at me, I'm aware that I'm a little late. I couldn't find my green tie-" he said through the phone. "Trevor!" I interrupted. "What?" he asked. "Come pick me up over here. My truck won't start." I told him. I watched as he looked over at me and gave me a thumbs up before hanging up. I walked to the end of my driveway, camera bag in tow, as I waited for him to back out of his driveway. He opened the passenger door for me as he pulled up in front of me. "This is why I've been nagging you to get a newer car." he said as I sat down in the passenger seat. I gave him a look. "Or at least a truck that's from this century." was all he said as he headed down our street, toward the setting sun.

10 minutes later, we pulled into a parking space by the decorated tree. Trevor grabbed the Sour Patch Kids and flowers as I picked up my camera bag from the car floor and walked to the tree. Behind the tree, I unzipped my camera bag and pulled my camera out, simultaneously taking off the lens cap. I walked back around the tree and corrected the focus on Trevor as he stood in front of the tree. I smiled and took a few pictures of his nervous expression. He scowled at me when he realized what I was doing.

He checked his watch. "Oh Lord. We have three minutes. What if she says no, Ava? Oh God." he started pacing again. I groaned inwardly. This boy must have no self-confidence. "Trevor. Shut up and listen." He stopped pacing and looked at me. "Trevor, in three minutes a beautiful girl, who likes you, is going to show up here. She is going to see you and be happier than you can imagine. There is no way she's going to say no." I told him, smiling with excitement. "Okay. Alright." he said as he stood up straighter and fixed his tie. As I took a few shots of him with the flowers and candy, it hit me why he had worn the green tie. It was the exact shade of Lilli's eyes. I smiled at the thought of him looking through a huge pile of ties at a store to find the exact shade of green.

I heard Zander's jeep pulling into the parking lot and quickly moved to my spot at the side. I quickly picked up my phone and hit record before picking up my camera with the other hand. I handed Zander my phone when he popped up next to me. I snapped a picture as soon as Lilli's face poked through the low-hanging branches. Her delicate face was a mixture of confusion and wonder until her eyes locked on Trevor's. You could see the pure happiness that shone between them as Trevor walked to her. I watched through the camera lens as he asked her to be his girlfriend. She nodded, blushing bright red, and I saw Trevor's nerves visibly melt away as he pulled her closer, kissing her with all he had.

I looked at Zander, with a smile on my face, to find him already looking at me. I kissed him and laughed at the mark my lipstick left on him. Trevor and Lilli finally broke apart at the sound of my laughter and Lilli's face grew even redder as she realized we had been here the whole time. Zander ending the recording and I snapped a few more shots before putting my camera in it's bag. I looked up to find Trevor and Lilli standing over me. I stood up and stumbled back as Lilli tackled me into a hug. She pulled back. "Thank you." she and Trevor said in unison and looked at each other before erupting into nervous laughter. "You're welcome." I told them. "Trevor don't you have a reservation at the new place downtown?" I asked him. Lilli looked up at Trevor in surprise. "How did you...? That place has been booked up for months." she asked in wonder. Trevor smiled. "My brother may be annoying but he has his perks." he explained.

Zander walked over to me as Lilli and Trevor drove off to their romantic evening. "They're so cute." I sighed as Zander wrapped me in his warm arms. He chuckled and gave me a quick kiss. "So, I heard you're having some car trouble." he said. I rolled my eyes and he laughed pulling me closer. I watched as he opened his mouth but I cut him off. "Yes, I will finally allow you to take a look at my baby. And in return I expect a ride home." He chuckled again and rolled his eyes. "I love you." he said, blue eyes shining bright. "I know." I said. I laughed at his scowl and planted a kiss on his lips. "I love you too." I told him.

He pulled back and grabbed my hand as we walked to his jeep. My phone rung and without looking at the caller I.D. I picked up. "Hello?" I said cheerily into the phone. Kya's voice came out hoarse. "Can you come pick me up?" she asked, voice breaking. "Of course. Where I are you?" I said, concern in my voice. Zander's head picked up at the worry in my eyes and voice. "The corner of Tulip Avenue and Tiger-lily Lane." she said quietly. "I'll be there in two minutes. Sit tight." I told her. "Okay." she whispered and hung up. "Zander, we need to get to the corner of Tulip Avenue and Tiger-lily Lane right now." I told him, running toward his jeep. We jumped into his car and he sped toward the location. "I've known Kya for years and I have never heard her this vulnerable." I told him quietly. He waited a moment before responding. "Good thing we're here then." he finally said. I jumped out of the jeep and ran to the crumpled shape on the sidewalk. I took one look at her tear-stained face and took her into my arms. My heart broke as she sobbed in my arms.

  -- Don't forget to leave a like <3 --