Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25:

It's been two weeks since that night Zander and I picked up Kya. She told her dad everything and went to the police. Kya now has a restraining order against Caleb, but she didn't want to pursue legal charges. Lilli, Jenna, and I have all been taking turns sleeping over at Kya's because she's still having nightmares about what happened. I'd been texting Jenna earlier, and she and Kya were going to have a Harry Potter marathon tonight.

Zander was almost done with my truck, but because I had no car, I hadn't been able to get Zander or Lilli a gift. Their birthday was a week away, prom was three weeks away, and then graduation was the week after prom. Yesterday, I had found out that Trevor hadn't been able to go shopping either, and I had pretty much forced him to go to the mall with me today. We'd been to seven stores so far and we both had taken care of Lilli, but still had nothing for Zander.

Trevor got Lilli a purse at the second store we went to. I had to help him pick it out. The first purse he picked up was huge and the exact color of vomit. I'd stopped him and asked if he needed new glasses. He then proceeded to roll his eyes, say no, and put the purse back on the shelf. Five minutes later, I found a purse that screamed Lilli. It was white leather with pink metal accents. I gave it to Trevor and then walked to the accessories and found a matching wallet. We decided that Trevor would get her the purse and I would give her the wallet.

Trevor sat down at a bench in the middle of the mall. "What are we gonna do for Zander?" he asked, adjusting his glasses. I sighed and sunk down onto the bench beside him. "I honestly don't know. He's so hard to shop for. Every time I ask him what he wants, he just says 'I'm sure I'll love whatever you get me.'" I told him. "Oh no. I'm pretty sure I had it worse. Lilli kept giving me hints about how badly she wanted a new purse. She seriously made an entire purse board on Pinterest and tagged me in it!" he said, scowling as I chuckled darkly. "Well guys aren't exactly known for being awesome gift-givers." I responded, poking him. "Whatever, at least Zander would probably be happy with anything that involves basketball." he said, poking me back.

I sprung up. "Oh my gosh. Trevor you're a genius." I told him, smiling like a crazy person. I turned to find him staring at me like I really was crazy. "Why?" he asked. "So you know how I have cousins in Kentucky right? And the UK Wildcats are one of Zander's favorite college teams?" I prodded him. "Yea. So?" he said, still confused. "One of them is a senior at the University of Kentucky, and is friends with some of the guys on the UK basketball team." I told Trevor. He finally got my meaning and stood up. "Ava, could you seriously get him something from the team? Like a ball or something?" he asked me, disbelief in his eyes. "Let's just say my cousin owes me a favor." I told him, a smirk on my face.

An hour later, we were finally leaving the mall. I'd called my cousin and he'd agreed to get me a ball that had been used in a UK practice and at least a few team members signatures. Trevor had ended up getting Zander two snapback hats and a hoodie.

Trevor pulled into my driveway forty-five minutes later. I opened my door and climbed out, Lilli's gift in my hand. "I'll see you on Monday." he said as I closed the door. "Oh! I turned around before he pulled away and he rolled the passenger window down. "Don't forget about the Shakespeare quiz in Teenk's class." I warned him. "Yea, yea." he said rolling his eyes. Last week he'd forgotten the quiz and almost failed it. He rolled up the window and pulled out of my driveway.

I unlocked the front door and went inside. Mom and Dad were at a dinner party and wouldn't be back for a while. I went upstairs, showered, and put Lillis's gift in my closet. I didn't trust her to not search for her gift the next time she was over. I was about to turn on Netflix when the doorbell rang. Three times. I jogged downstairs and opened the door to find Jenna on my doorstep.

"Ava." was all she said. I could tell from her face that something was wrong. I opened the door wider and she walked inside. I closed the door and turned to face her. "What's wrong? Is Kya okay?" I asked, worry creeping into my voice. "Yea. At least she was when I left." she said quietly, looking down at her shoes. I grabbed her hand and she looked me in the eyes. "What happend? Why did you leave Kya's house?" I asked her. Panic rose in her grey eyes at my question. She took a deep breath and finally answered me.

"I kissed Kya."

  -- Don't forget to leave a like <3 --