Chapter 16

*Elizabeth's pov*
After a month we got our stitches removed. Well, at least mine, which left quite a long, nasty scar. I would complain about it but Christ would always hug my and whisper in my ear, "You are the most beautiful woman in the world. Haven't you heard that guys dig scars." I would always laugh at the fact that he said that. He just knew how to cheer me up. Chris had been acting secretive lately as well, and I didn't know why. I mean, you don't need to be sneaky about a birthday gift, so something was up. I kept asking him what was wrong, but he would shake his head. Today was my 19th birthday, and I had had enough of him not telling me. "Chris, what's wrong? I am not going to take no, a head shake, or a shrug for an answer. So tell me." He sighed, "You know. When you disappeared, I became obsessed with finding you again. I started writing some songs and I quit my job." "You quit teaching?" He nodded, "I found a house a ways away. I thought you might like it if we started over since this place has several bad memories." I sighed, "You're right, but what about a job? What will you do?" He smiled, "Maybe a singer. I mean, I have all these songs written down and some are still floating in my head." I raised an eyebrow, "You know it takes a while to get a career like that off the ground right?" He laughed, "That's the thing. I scheduled a day to meet with a record label in a week. It will be about half an hour away from where we are going to live." I laughed, "You really thought this through didn't you?" He chuckled, "To the last detail. Well, we better get packing since we have a three day drive ahead of us." It took us the whole evening to pack up everything, except two. We both picked out something we didn't want to put in boxes. I chose Hannah, my teddy bear. Chris chose the drawing of me and him from so long ago. "Ah, memories." I blushed, "I can't believe you still have that thing." He kissed my cheek, "It is my favorite drawing of all time." We got everything in a rentable trailer when he asked, "How about we go to dinner? It's obvious that you're exhausted, and besides, it would be our first date in a long while." I giggled, "Sure." We drove to the same Schoop's we had our first date. We even sat in the same place. We ordered our food and we got a birthday shake afterwards. When it came I gasped in shock. Instead of a cherry there was a ring. A very gorgeous ring at that. Chris took it off of the shake and wiped it off. He slid out of the booth and asked, "Elizabeth, will you make me the luckiest man alive and marry me?" I started crying with joy as I squealed, "Yes. A gizillion times yes." He put the ring on my ring finger. The whole resturaunt cheered as he scooped me up and kissed me. We finished the shake and went home. He hooked up the trailer and we started to drive. I stared at my ring as it glistened in the moonlight as I sighed. Chris asked, "What's up?" I looked up at him, "It is just all so surreal. I mean, you and me are going to get married. I-I just can't believe it." He smiled as he watched the road. We continued to drive as my mind began to wonder about all the things we will do when we get married. I shouldn't really be thinking of the aftermath, I should be more focused on who will be there and what dress, what theme. I shook the thought away. Besides, I should be worried about unpacking at the moment. We passed through a few cities before I saw the big "Welcome to Pennsylvania" in big letters as we passed it. I felt a small smiled grow on my face. New life here I come.