chapter 15

Several months later...

Lauren sat dumbfounded. The ringing in her ears was loud, almost as an undeniable source of space as she floated above earth. The room was filled with movements, but she could feel nothing. The only feeling besides her numb fingers was her cell phone vibrating inside her jacket, notification after notification.

All Lauren could linger on was how quickly her day had a turn of events. How her day had been entirely normal, if not, good. But that phone call changed everything.

Camila was gone.

It took her a few seconds to realize that someone was shaking her shoulder. Her eyes focused on a pair of tired brown eyes that were bloodshot red. It was odd to see Ally cry, and it was something that broke Lauren's heart to see when it happened. In a quick second, they grabbed each other in a tight embrace.

Vanilla, cinnamon, and gingersnap cookies. Lauren inhaled Ally's familiar warming scent and felt the older, but smaller girl cry softly in her arms. Lauren didn't cry, she couldn't. She felt frozen in place, like somebody was living inside her body and it wasn't her. She kissed Ally's temple tenderly and closed her eyes as she hugged her tight.

Camila left fifth harmony. What hurt the most was that Lauren had no idea until now, and she didn't even hear it from her.

After they were torn apart by LA Reid, Lauren stayed away, she really tried. But she didn't have to, because LA Reid made sure they would be away from each other. Providing separate busses, hotel rooms in different floors, separate cars, and so much more. Sometimes, she wouldn't even see Camila for weeks unless they had to attend an interview, and even then they didn't talk. She could tell that Camila tried sneaking away to see her, but Lauren always turned her away. Now Lauren regretted it, because maybe she could've convinced her to stay.

LA Reid had threatened to kick someone out if they refused to follow their directions, but it turns out one left willingly. Lauren still had a sour taste in her mouth, she wished she could understand, but she didn't.

She finally let go of Ally and looked around the room. Normani was consoling Dinah, who seemed to be the most broken up about Camila's leave. Clara was in deep conversation with parents, and their band and tour group was chattering aggressively amongst themselves. Dinah caught Lauren's eye and gave her a weak smile.

Not being able to stay in that room, Lauren quickly got up from her chair, ignoring her mothers call's and hurried away from the building. She didn't even know where she was going, but she didn't look back. Seeing a coffee shop nearby, she entered and began scrolling on her phone, so many conspiracy theories from the fans, rants, and insults.

She was grossed out by all the articles. She wished they would mind their own business. Her phone kept buzzing from all the messages from her friends and family members that she kept ignoring. She kept refreshing her pages, seeing the same things over and over again.

Hours passed, what felt like days and before long it was dark outside and everybody had cleared out from the coffee shop. A barista approached her and stood in front of her table.

"Excuse me?"

Lauren looked down from another one of the hundred of articles she was reading on Twitter and looked up at the girl her age peering down at her.