Jonghyun x reader (fluff)

You were staring at the ceiling while the TV casted weird shadows around the dark room. It was far past midnight and Jonghyun was supposed to be home by now. Yes, of course you knew that sometimes he takes longer plus his Blue Night was today...but still...you missed him. You wanted to call him, but knew that it would disturb him so you grabbed your phone and instead of calling Jonghyun, you dialed Kibum's number.

"Yes, it's there on your right. No! ON YOUR RIGHT! Look in the cupboard. NO, not there!"

You just sat there, your phone against your ear. What was he talking about?

"Kibum...?"

"Yes it's there. Oh yeah, I'm sorry! Hey y/n! Taemin couldn't find his glass. Why are you calling so late? Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

Of course! You had just looked at the clock! Why did you call, you knew it was late. Your mind didn't cooperate with you at all.

"Oh yeah, sorry about calling so late. I just wanted to ask about Jonghyun. I didn't want to call him in case he was in the middle of something," you apologized.

"Oh, he is still not there? Huh, well I'm sure he comes soon. I don't really have anything to say on that, but he often worked past midnight. He knows it's a bad habit, but you know, since he has sleeping problems he says it's easier to work late."

"Unfortunately yes. I thought I'd wait for him, but I'm kinda tired already..." you said as you got cut off by yawning"

"Go to sleep! Don't stay up so late! It's not healthy," Kibum scolded you over the phone.

"And still...you are up?" you chuckled.

"I'm only up because Taemin couldn't find his glass. One day he loses himself somewhere, I swear to god," he said, sending an angry glare at Taemin that you didn't see.

"Okay, okay. Go back to sleep then, I'll wait around some more. Goodnight!" you said, smiling.

"Well, don't stay up too late. Goodnight y/n!"

With that he ended the call. Well then, that wasn't of much help. The TV started getting on your nerves so you turned it off. Now the only thing lighting the room was the streetlamp outside. You were really tired by now. To hell with it! You grabbed a blanket and lay on the couch. You decided to sleep there, so you can hear when Jonghyun comes.

**********

"No, Roo, come back! Hush! Roo! Here! You can't wake y/n up, okay? Be quiet!"

**********

You woke up, hearing scratching behind the door. Is this a mouse? You shivered at the thought, but still got out of bed and grabbed one nearby book. You carefully walked towards the bedroom door, the book firmly in your hands.

Wait. Bedroom?

Between scratching a soft and sad barking could be heard. You put the book back on the nightstand and curiously opened the door. As soon as the door was barely open, Roo ran in.

"ROO!" you happily exclaimed in surprise. You kneeled down and Roo ran to you with his tail wiggling like it was gonna fly off. He jumped on your lap, and tried to lick you. You laughed and picked him up, stepping out of the bedroom. You silently walked towards the kitchen as you heard a familiar voice talkin to himself. You carefully peeked around the corner to see Jonghyun placing plates on the table. Suddenly Roo barked which resulted in Jonghyun almost dropping a plate.

"Roo I told you to be quie...." Jonghyun started before he turned around to see Roo in your arms.

"Oh! Morning sunshine!" Jonghyun smiled and came over to hug you. You glanced at the table and saw a nice little cake on it and red roses next to it.

"What's going on?" you asked, forgetting to even wish good morning back.

"You don't know?" Jonghyun asked with a surprised tone and let go of you.

"No..." you answered, lifting an eyebrow.

"It's your birthday today! You seriously don't remember?" he laughed.

"My birthday...." you mumbled, turning your head towards the calendar. In fact, it WAS your birthday! How did you forget?
Jonghyun smiled at your reaction and then continued: "I'm sorry for being so late last night....I was running through the stores for flowers and cake, but almost all the stores were closed, sooo..."

"You didn't have to do all that so late! I would've been happy with you just wishing me happy birthday!" you laughed.

"No chance. You know I wouldn't do that, but now..."

Jonghyun hugged you tightly once more.

"Happy birthday!"

Suddenly Roo jumped out of your arms and landed on the table. Unfortunately the table was slippery for him so he couldn't stop himself from sliding across the table and hitting the cake.

"ROO, NO!" Jonghyun screamed, but that didn't help. Roo fell off the table with your birthday cake and then ran off in fear.

You gasped for a second and then let out a loud laugh. Jonghyun didn't laugh, he was devastated and dead silent. You saw that and patted his shoulder, still laughing.

"I-I....I..." Jonghyun stuttered.

"Hey, I knew you meant good, besides it was good to start the morning with such a big laugh," you smiled.

"But...I wanted this to be a nice gift and look what happened...I just tried to do something nice..." Jonghyun looked like he was on the edge of tears. You hugged him as he looked at you with sad eyes.

"First, let's clean it up. Maybe we can save something? If you don't want it though then I guess I'll LICK the floor clean," you giggled. Jonghyun let out a chuckle and grabbed a few napkins.

"Please don't. You don't know where this dog has been," he laughed and handed you a napkin.

********
Man, I haven't written in ages! It's not anything cool or special, but I hope you still enjoy! ^^