Birthday #2 (end)

Warning: mentions of Jonghyun's death

9 years later

Your POV

It was the 18th of December as I was lighting a candle, my dog's snout resting on the table, looking at the small flame.

"Jjong, off! You'll burn yourself," I ordered. He was an old dog. Almost 10 years old but acted still like a puppy. I sat on the sofa and grabbed my notebook. Jonghyun jumped up on the sofa with me and snuggled up against me, breathing quietly. I patted him and stared at the candle which was burning so peacefully. My eyes moved to a framed drawing. It was a drawing of SHINee, my mother, I and Roo. In the middle there was a birthday cake with candles.

I still remember what I wished for on that night and I also remember how one of the candles kept burning, meaning my wish wasn't supposed to be fullfilled, but I was determined.

Since that day, my birthdays had been grim. I didn't celebrate them, there was no reason to.

I sighed and opened my notebook, going through some of my song lyrics. I wished he was there with me. It was so hard to be a soloist at such a young age as 17. People didn't take me seriously. What wouldn't I give to have Jonghyun here with me.

I turned to a blank page and stared at it in total silence. I clicked on my pen and started writing.

All memories came back, stronger than ever before. All the pain I felt when I was told he was never coming. All those ripped drawings, soaked in tears. All those pillows that needed turning from the lack of dry space.

The fear of losing my only remaining, breathing, living trace of Jonghyun who was currently sleeping next to me.

As I was finishing the fifth verse, Jonghyun moved and rested his head on my lap, looking up at me. I smiled and snuggled with him, his tail hitting the sofa with loud thumps. I raised my head and my eyes stopped on a drawer which was half open. I must've left it open when I searched for matches. I got up and walked over to close it. Before closing it, I peeked in to see if I had any papers with song lyrics on them in the drawer. There was a bunch and I took them out, one small piece of paper falling from between them. I picked it up and read it.

"Happy birthday y/n! Promise uncle Jonghyun to take good care of him!"

Tears fogged my eyes. I jumped at someone nudging me. I turned around and hugged my dog. He excitedly licked my face and sat down as well.

"I'm home!" a familiar voice suddenly yelled after the front door opened.

"Hey, dad!" I answered and got up, Jonghyun running past me to greet him. I walked to the corridor and my father immediately noticed my look.

"Come here," he said and opened his arms. I went to hug him tightly and felt warm tears running down my cheeks.

"It's okay. I brought you something," he said and let me go. I stepped away and let him search. He pulled out a new, beautiful notebook with roses along with a beautiful red and white pen.

 He pulled out a new, beautiful notebook with roses along with a beautiful red and white pen

"You said your notebook will be full soon, so I bought you a new one. And..."

"And...?" I asked, looking at his happy face.

"And SM will be happy to release your first solo album!"

I just stood there, not even blinking. Then an idea formed.

"So you better write a..."

"I already have it," I answered. My dad, Jinki looked at me with a surprised expression.

"You have a song?" he asked.

"Yes, but could you read it before I turn it in?" I asked, clutching my new notebook.

"Of course! I don't think you've ever showed me your notebook. Wait, I'll take my coat off," he said and turned on the little lamp on the wall which casted a cozy light on the walls. I walked over to the living room and grabbed an old notebook, my old fella running beside me, claws clickinh on wooden floor. I handed my notebook to my father, heart beating.

Will he recognise the notebook?

He stopped immediately when he saw the notebook.

"It's Jonghyun's old book...Where did you get that?" he asked, not lifting his eyes from it.

"He gave it to me when I was little. There's some of his lyrics in it. He often let me draw in this notebook to illustrate his songs. The song I want to sing is on the last page," I explained, hands shaking a little. He quietly read it for a while and then spoke, reading out a writing.

"Co-written with Jonghyun?" he asked and looked at me.

"Yes, I used some of his lyrics and combined them with mine. As for album art...I want that," I said and pointed towards a framed drawing on the wall.

"Your old drawing?" he asked again.

"I want it to be a candle flame and inside the flame is the part of this drawing with Jonghyun, Roo and I," I stated. Dad was quiet, looking at the drawing then at the notebook in his hand and then at me. I was growing nervous.

"I think it would be amazing. Do you even know how proud he would be? He always cared so much about you," he said, looking straight into my eyes. I turned my head away to hide my tears.

"I wish I could tell him how...I wish he could see me. I wish I wasn't so young when he left, I never got to tell him how much I looked up to him," I said quietly. Dad smiled and gave me the notebook.

"I'm sure he knows," he said and rubbed my shoulders before wiping away my tears.

"But let's get ready now!" he exclaimed.

"Ready for what?" I asked, confused.

"I called Kibum, Taemin and Minho to come over. We have to celebrate your birthday and... your and Jonghyun's first song debut. Let's get cooking before mom gets home!"

I smiled, seeing my father so happy. I haven't celebrated my birthday in 9 years.

9 years ago, when blowing out candles, I wished for Jonghyun to come to my birthday party.

This year, I'll wish him good luck with his new song.

*****
That's it! A happy ending!
Let me know what you think! Don't be afraid to critisize as long as it's constructive and it can actually help me improve, especially pointing out grammar mistakes!

The second parts tend to be not that good comparing to first parts in my case, but I'm happy with it. I've never written so much at once ( past me: I actually wrote both parts on the same night and now it's 3 am and my back hella hurts for some reason😂)

Edit: I saw a lot of people a lot more sad than I had originally thought I'd see, so I hope the second part will give all of you some sort of closure~💙