Chapter 1: Why him?

Jewel P.O.V.

"She is so cute when she's sleeping," a faimiliar voice says. I try not to smile.

"Don't talk to her like that."

"She looks so peaceful..."

"Until you wake her up."mumbles an awfully disturbed Race. Race is my twin, my other half, also known as me brudda.

I had enough of the sweet talk and sat up and kissed his cheek. "Hey brudder," i said all sweetly. He turns to me and kisses my head, "Hey sis." I had the top bunk because he was afraid of falling down when he would go to grab a cigar. I despise how he smokes but he is slowing down on it though. I lean on my stomach with my hands cupped holding my head and kickin' my feet around. "So, ya gonna jus sit there or get dressed?" he asks. "Well, smartass, if ya move you'se big head outta me way, I can gettie down."
He moves out of my way and takes a long drag.

--------When I'm Finally Dressed---------

I got one of me favorite button down shirts with suspenders with Race's old shoes and a newsboy hat. I have my hair in a french braid and tucked away in my hat. Only the boys in the place we stay in knows I'm a goil. (Yes, I got an accent and it comes out whenever I speak.)
Goils don't work as newsies, but I've come across a few. They assume me gender until we let our hair down. In fact, one of them is me best friend, Antonietta. When we is working we call her Anthony. When I'm working the guys call me Jay, cause that is the closest that can be to my name.

"Hey Jewel, can we speak for a moment?" Antonietta asks me. "Yeah sure, whadja need?"
"You'se know the new boy?" There was a new newsie comin' and he is pretty lame. "Yeah, why?" I respond. I'm starting to get a feeling that I know what she will say, "you like 'im dontcha?" "Jewel, howdja know?" "Howdya think I wouldn't know? You'se was sayin his name and stawted blushin'"

We were then interrupted by my brudda.
"I see you'se and Davey as a poifect couple" Race added.

"RACE! GET YO BIG HEAD OUTTA HEA YOU SON OF A GUN!"

"Well, if you'se say dat, it makes you'se the dautter of a son of a gun," with that he smirked, "Plus you love me." "Let's go get our papes."

We walked to the gates and when the bell rang, we ran in and got a spot on line. Of course Jack was in line first, then me, Crutchy, Anthony, Kid Blink, Race, Davey, and his cute little brudda Les.

"Hey there Mr. Weasel! Imma just tryin' ta act all polite." Jack says. Mr. Wiesel (A/N prob spelled that wrong but oh whale 🐳) is his real name but we like to bother him and call him Weasel. "The usual?" Weasel asks. "Why not." "100 papes to Jack!" he shouts. I get up to the window, "Hey there Wiesel," "Who did you just call me?" he asks. "Oh I'm sorry, Weasel." I wink at him. "100 papes." He hands them to me and shouts "Next!"

I sit down next to Jack and come up with ways to mix up the headlines. "Heya, checkie page 7, Jack!" I say. He flips to the page and starts laughing. "Two-headed baby born? Must be from Brooklyn!" We all laugh. A few minutes later we get out and start selling. By the end I got 10 pennies, what a luck!

We head over to Tibby's and have some root beer. Then we head in for the night.