Chapter 18: "Pulitzer and Hearst they think they got us, do they got us?" "No!"

Jewel P.O.V.

I was walking to "work" with Kid Blink when I noticed Jack was talking with Skittery. I decided to talk to them.

"Heya Jacky-boy. Ise really sorry for da whole... Youse know what Ise mean."

"Yeah, and honestly damn it hurt. Youse know how ta through a nice shiner." Jack said laughing.

"Well, Ise learned from de best!" I say. Race puts his arm over my shoulder. "Yep!" He said.

"Not you dumbass! Ise was talking bout Jacky-boy here!" I turn to him. He takes his arm off my shoulder and scratches the back of his neck. "Oh. Well glad to have ya back Jack!" Race says.

"Whatcha waitin for! Go in and talk some sense inta ol' man Pulitzer!" I say patting him on the back. He drags me and David with him.

We walk inside. Damn this place is good lookin! It is so fancy!

"Extry, extry, Joe. Read all about it." Jack says as we reach Pulitzer's office.

"I promised that if you defied me, I'd break you. I'll keep that promise, boy. Now, I gave you a chance to be free. I don't understand. Anyone who doesn't act in their own self interest is a fool." Says Pulitzer.

"Then what does that make you?" Davey asks. I smile.

"What?" Pulitzer asks.

Oh, this is my pal, Davey. The Walkin' mouth. And this is Jay, youse don't wanna get on 'is bad side."

"You talk about self interest, but since the strike, your circulation's been down 70%." Davey says.
"And everyday you're losing thousands of dollars just to beat us out of one lousy tenth of a cent. Why?" I add.

"You see, it ain't about the money, Dave. If Joe gives in to nobodies like us, it means we got the power. And he can't do that, no matter what it costs. Am I right, Joe?" Jack asks.

"I sent for the police. They must be here by now. Send them in, Seitz." Pulitzer says.

"I'm not going back to jail, Joe. Look out here. Right out here is where the power is."

Jack opens the window. All the kids are still yelling and Pulitzer covers his ears.

"Close the window! Close the window! Go home! Go home! Go home!" I mimic him from behind and the boys start laughing.

"I can't hear you , Joe!" Jack says.

"Go home! Go home to your mothers and fathers! Go home!" Pulitzer yells.

"Sorry, Joe, but half of 'em don't got no parents." I say in a sympathetic voice.

"I don't hear ya!" Jack yells.

"Now you listen to me!" Pulitzer tells us.
"No!" I say.

"Maybe you should listen!" Jack adds.

"No, no! You listen to me!" Pulitzer says. I roll my eyes.

"No! You listen!" Jack says.

"Close the window and shut up!"

"There's a lot of people out there and they ain't just gonna go away. They got voices now and they're goin' be listen to. Putting them in jail is not going to stop them! That's the power of the press, Joe." Jack says.

He closes the window. Pulitzer takes his hands away from his ears.

"So thanks for teaching me about it." Jack tells Pulitzer.

"Those kids put out a pretty good paper there Chief." Seitz says. I didn't know he was there.

Pulitzer picks up the paper and starts to read it.

"I ordered a printing ban on all strike matters. Now, who defied me? Who's press did you use to print this on? Who's?"

"Well, we only use the best, Joe. So, I just want to say, thanks again." We laugh.

We come out of the gates.

"Hey, fellas, they're over here!" Spot yells.

Jack bends over and whispers in Les's ear.

"The strike's over. We beat 'em!" Jack says.

Jack lifts Les onto his shoulders and look out towards all the children.

We stand on the statue on Newsies Square and cheer.

Spot comes running over and climes up to me and bends down on one knee. I turn to him and start to cry.

"Ise was gonna wait till you and Races birthday, but now is de poifect time. Jewel, Ise said dat me mom told me dat one day Ise will find de poifect goil for me. I think Ise found her. Jewel? Will youse marry me?" I cry with joy and nod my head yes. I kiss him.

"She said yes!" Spot yells and everyone starts cheering more.

He slips the ring on my finger and I examine it. "How much did dis cost? And how's youse get me ring size?" I ask him.

"Funny story. I'll tell ya later." Spot says and he takes my hand and brings me down off the statue. The kids start to go back to where they came from and the rest of the newsies start to go to Tibby's for a celebration.

Snyder comes and everyone tells Jack to run but Denton stops him. He explains something to him when Snyder is put in handcuffs and Crutchy and kids from the Refuge get out of a carriage prison box. Snyder is put in and Crutchy asks for the honors. He slams the door on Snyder and we all cheer.

I run over to Crutchy and hug him. I show him my ring and asks me who the lucky fella is. "Spot!" I say. "Wow! Ise musta missed a lot!" He says. "I'm very happy for youse two!"

I look over to Davey and he is kissing Antonietta. I told her to go for it. Good for her! I laugh. We then all head to Tibby's and drink root beer.

Later after Tibby's, we all head back to the lodging house. I decide to sleep at the lodging house and move in with Spot in a few weeks.

I can't wait to get my life started with Spot. I was the gonna be the Queen Of Brooklyn!

A/N:
OML OML OML OML!! AHHHHHHHH!!!I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THE STORY WAS GONNA TURN OUT THIS WAY!! 😂 WHAT MAKES IT MORE IRONIC IS THAT IM THE ONE WRITING THE STORY! I hope you enjoyed the chapter!
-Faith🌺