Chapter 3: Mystery Note

Jewel P.O.V.

When we got back from Brooklyn all the newsies were waiting in the Newsies Square. Race runs up to us. "Jack. So where's Spot?" he asks. "He was concerned of us being serious. You imagine that?" I ask. "Without Spot and Brooklyn, there ain't enough of us!" he says.

We start singing and we are interrupted by the circulation bell.

"Anybody hear that?" Jack asks.
"No!" We all yell.
"So what are we gonna do about it?"
"Soak 'em!" The newsies yell.

We run inside and start to tear apart newspapers and Crutchy is havin' a ball! Until the bulls start pilin' in. "Crutchy! Scram! Scram!" I scream. I start to run in to get him but pulled back by Race. "We'se can bust him outta de Refuge later!" We ran out and I started to feel tears in my eyes. I held them back. Nobody ever sees me cry. Only once, when Mom and Dad passed. Race was too. But then again he is such a baby.

We run to Tibby's and hide inside. We calm down and talk about some ideas. Then we head back to the lodgin house. (A/N I am hating myself rn cause I forgot what the place is called. Comment and I will fix.) We stay there the rest of the night and Davey and Jack decide to go break out Crutchy. Everyone else wishes them luck as they leave. A knock is heard at the door and Race and I go down to check it out.

My hair is up in a braid in my newsboy hat and we find a note left on the door. I take it down and read it. Race tries to read over my shoulder and I elbow him in the gut. The note reads:

Dear Race,
give this note to you'se sis.
From,
Mystery person.

"Hea Race, read it."

"Okay, hea ya go. I did what the note told me to do."

There was a back to the note. It said:

Dear Jewel,
If you are the one reading this, Jewel, obviously you'se brudda is a dumbass. This is from Spot. Please follow these directions: First, meet me at the corner. Second: Bring nobody, no brudda no one. Third, Dress like a goil, if I'se see you'se beautiful hair, I'se will know it's you. Fourth: Meet me here at 8:35.
Love,
Spot Conlon

Ok, I thought. Should I go? It is 8:28, gotta come up with a plan. After a while of thinking, I decided to go.

I put on a flannel with a black undershirt underneath. I buttoned it and put my hair in a side braid. I walked outside and walked to the corner. I checked my watch, 8:34. Ok, where is he? I brought me switchblade just in case.

A minute later, a shadow appeared out of the dark. A familiar voice spoke. "Heya, Sweetheart. Thanks for comin'" I put my hand on the switchblade and looked around ( It was dark out btw). "Oh, dontcha take that out. I don't bite, I only brought me slingshot and club. I won't hit you'se with it."said the voice. "Where are you, Spot?" I said quietly. "To your right." I look down the street. Underneath the street light a few feet away is a shadowy figure. He starts to walk closer and I pull out my switchblade. "Lemme take dat before you'se gets any ideas." He takes it from me. "I jus' wanna talk. I'm sorry 'bout this afta-noon. I just kinda got feelin's for ya." "Hm," that's all I could really say. "But I thought that you'se, Spot Conlon, the most feared Newsie in York, doesn't love? Isn't dat right?" I smirk. "I neva said love Sweetheart." "Whatcha wanna talk bout Spot. I got curfew at nine." "Oh, well, can I come in the house." "Why?" I ask. "Come on," he grabs my hand and smiles. That smile is a smile I'se neva seen befores. Especially from Spot Conlon.

Before we go in, Spot turns and holds both hands of mine. "Will ya be me goil, Jewel?"
I stared at him. "Uh, Jewel? You'se alright?"
"Yes, I am. I don't think I like you in that way. Can we be friends?"
"Oh...Um... Yeah, whatever you'se want."

There was a lot of hesitation and I got uncomfortable. "Sorry Spot, I just met you and...sorry." I ran inside and shut the door.

Spot P.O.V.

I told ya I would go find out tonight. I walk up to the door. I put a note on it and knock. I run down the to the corner and hide on the side of the building. I checked me watch. It was 8:28. I waited. Lemme tell ya that that was the longest seven minutes in me life. By 8:34 a figure comes out to the corner. "That's her," I say to myself.

I stand up and walk in the middle of the road. "Heya Sweetheart, thanks for comin'" I say. She looks around. She starts putting her hand on something in her pocket.

Oh shit, I thought. She brought a switchblade Smart goil. "Dontcha take that out," I respond. Then she says other stuff and I walk up to her. I take the switchblade from her. "Don't wantcha to get any ideas." Now, I only have to be worried about a swing for my face or gut.

I apologized to her and she just nodded her head. I would've sweet talked her if the 'hatten newsies weren't there.

I took her hand and walked back to the lodgin' house. "Will ya be my goil?" I ask her. I thought she was gonna say yes but instead she said no. She rejected me. Does she have a boyfriend? It will be awkward going near her especially during the strike.

She ran inside and up the steps. I stand there dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it.

I take off my newsboy hat and say, "Damn, she is just like me." That's when I knew I needed her in my life.

Jewel P.O.V.

I told Race and he wasn't as mad as I expected. He promised to keep it secret. I told him how I liked him and didn't want Jack to find out.Race finally calmed down and was okay with it. Jack would've flipped out more than him. That's what I said. I was right. Because Jack is like Race and my older brother. He makes sure that we're okay, and keeps an eye on us. Like ALL the time.

Lucky for us, Jack walks through the door as we are speaking. "Heya Jackie-boy!" Mush yells as he walks through the door.

He grabs Race and I and we walk up to the roof. "What was that sonuva-gun doin' here?" he asks. I look at Race and he looks at me. I sigh.

"He asked me out Jack. I rejected him. He looked so upset, but I didn't dare look him in the eyes. Those blue eyes would've made me fall in and accept. I didn't need the power, nor him." I got up and walked away.

Race P.O.V.

After Jewel told me about how Spot asked her out and she rejected we were talking to Jack about it. He listened to her unlike how he listens to me.

She got up and walked away when Jack held me back. "Her and Spot. They are a lot alike." Jack states. "They have the same personality. Did you see how she acted near him?" I asked.

"Yeah. Davey and I were turning around the corner to come back when we saw 'emb If Ise know Spot, he really likes her. He's was standing there dumbfounded when she rejected him. Now we's gotta get 'em together."

"Okay," I respond.