Drabble Part Fifty - Cupcakes

#50

~Sang~

We had been planning to go to Kota's and have a sleep over sort of thing, but I'd had to go back to grab some sleeping stuff.

I went to unlock the door but it was already open. It immediately set me on edge. Opening the door slowly, I winced when it creaked slightly. All the boys, apart from Dr. Green who was working late, and Mr. Blackbourne who had some Academy business to deal with were at home. And I never left the door unlocked.

The hallway was dark and deserted. I contemplated calling the boys, but I decided I should check it out myself first- what could go wrong?

There could be a murderer, a burglar, a unicorn hell bent on stabbing me with its horn-

Okay, maybe the last one was a little ridiculous, but the first two were entirely plausible.

I noticed the kitchen light was on, the warm yellow glow flooding from underneath the door. I was biting my lip as I grabbed the first weapon that I could- an umbrella. I almost snorted with laughter. Me, Sang Sorenson, was going up against some stranger who broke into my house, wielding an umbrella. A freaking umbrella.

I threw my thoughts out of my head, and readied my weapon. I slammed the kitchen door open, ready to beat the crap out of whoever was in there.

And came face to face with a flustered looking Mr. Blackbourne. Wearing a 'Kiss The Cook' apron. Holding a bowl filled with- was that cupcake mixture?!

We stared at each other for a few moments, my eyes darting between his face, to his clothing choice, to the cupcake ingredients.

I cleared my throat.

"Mr. Blackbourne...Are you wearing an apron?" Hey, may as well go for the obvious first, right?

He took a moment before finally saying something.

"It's protective clothing," he said. I felt a smile appear on my face out of its own will.

"Against what?" Again, he took a moment.

"I'm doing a science experiment," he tried, nodding toward the bowl. It sounded more like a question to me, like he was asking whether it was believable or not.

"A cupcake experiment?"

"It would appear so, wouldn't it?"

"It would appear that you're making cupcakes."

"No," he said a little too quickly, "I'm not."

"You are."

"I'm not. Really, it's a complicated experiment. The likes of which a meager mind like yours could not comprehend."

"You can't come up with a better lie?"

Mr. Blackbourne frowned thoughtfully.

"Not really, no. Quite unusual, I must say. Usually I'm a rather impeccable liar."

"Maybe it's a bad day."

"I hope so."

"So..." I smiled at him, "is the amazing Mr. Blackbourne making cupcakes?" His shoulders sagged.

"Yes."

"Have you made icing?"

"Yes."

"Give me some and I promise I won't tell the guys." His head turned up to look at me seriously.

"Deal, Miss Sorenson."

I walked past him, to find the icing was bright pink.

"Pink?" I asked.

"What can I say? It's a pretty color." I laughed and took a spoon out, digging in.