Containment Part 2

~Sang~

"Sang! Open the fucking door!" I jumped at the voice, getting to my feet and standing limply. It took me a moment for it to register. North's voice. Good. He's safe. They were supposed to be gone for a couple of weeks, some mission thing, but I'd gotten a text that they would be back before then because of this new disease.

I took in a couple deep breaths and started towards the front door.

He didn't sound ill. But would someone sound ill if they were? North's voice wasn't aggressive either, just urgent and slightly panicked.

"Trouble, open this fucking door right now before any more of those things come!"

My feet sped up and I unlatched the door. Every one of the guys tumbled in at once, pushing through.

"Get away from the door, Miss Sorenson," Mr. Blackbourne commanded.

"Why?" My voice was small and I tried not to sound too weak.

"Those fucking contaminated things are out there," Silas said in that rumbling voice of his. I went back a few steps.

"Is it that bad?"

"Chaos," Dr. Green answered.

"That's the biggest motherfucking understatement in the universe," Gabriel mumbled. He pushed past Sean and pulled me into a hug, burying his nose in my hair. I wrapped my arms around him, looking over his shoulder.

My breath froze. Nathan, Victor and Luke were taking out a handgun each and reloading it with military precision.

Kota caught my eye.

"What...Why have you got guns?"

Kota ignored my question. Okay.

"Kota, where's Jessica and Erica?"

"They're safe," he said simply, "Have you seen Mr. Johnson today, Sang?"

"Y-yes, this morning," my voice was starting to shake. They were scaring me. Was it all really happening that fast? Did I have to fear even our neighbor?

"Not in the last couple of hours?"

I shook my head and Meanie hugged me tighter, like he was trying to shield me.

"Good. Great," he muttered, "This morning, did you notice anything strange about him?"

I licked my lips, my mouth was going so dry, and tried to think back. He'd spoken to me about the marigolds in his yard that his wife had planted and telling me to tell North about trying not to run them over with that bike of his.

Had I noticed anything out of place? He'd looked a little pale, I guess. And his eyes were rimmed red, like they were sore or he had a cold.

I told Kota and he shared a grave look with Mr. Blackbourne.

"What? What's wrong with him?"

"He may have the illness, Miss Sorenson."

"He... He's..."

Gabe pulled back and nodded at me, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. Tears stung at my eyes. This all was much more serious than I had imagined.

"Come on, we can speak in the kitchen," Nathan gave a narrow eyed glance to the door, "it'll be safer in there."