Drabble Seventy-Eight - For Her Protection

#79

~Kota~

"We can't!" I shouted, gripping the table as I stood. It's all I can do to stop myself from beating some sense into Mr. Matthews, head of the Academy.

He stood there, his expression cool and indifferent, his gunmetal grey hair cropped close to his head military style and his suit unruffled and perfectly tailored. He was the definition of composed.

"You can't deny it. You have dragged Miss Sorenson into a world she has no place in, and it has brought her into danger," he said. I scowled at him.

"Mr. Matthews, we believe that we can care for Miss Sorenson perfectly well as soon as-" Mr. Blackbourne started, almost as calm as Mr. Matthews, but he was interrupted.

"As long as what, Owen?" Mr. B flinched at the use of his first name. Apart from that he was perfectly serene to the untrained eye; but to mine, I could see the worry and the anger behind his eyes. "As long as you get rid of every danger that's anywhere near her? Is that it? Well sorry to burst your bubble Owen,but that. Is. Impossible."

I opened my mouth, but Dr. Green shot me a look. I closed it quickly, understanding what he meant; I would just dig us in even deeper.

This meeting was insane. We had been called in to 'HQ' to have a private meeting, only me, Mr. B and Doc as we were in the high-ranking positions in the family. The rest of the guys were pretty annoyed, but they understood.Then Mr. Matthews announced that we have to cut ties with Sang completely because we were dragging her into danger.

"My team and I have grown very... Close, to Sang. I believe it would not be in our best interests to segregate ourselves from her," Dr. Green reasoned. It was almost shocking to see him so serious, becoming some sort of alter-ego to his usual cheerful self.

"Don't try to fool me, Sean. I realize you're in love with this Sang. And that's exactly why you have to remove yourselves from her."

"Mr. Matthews, I don't understand exactly what you mean," he said warily.

"You're becoming disharmonized. Your missions have been in shambles; your growing messy. Why? Because you're focused on Miss Sorenson. Taking a moment to text her, to reassure her, steals away your time."

We all stayed silent. Mr. Matthews smiled with satisfaction.

"So you're going to cut all connections with her. You will not see her, speak to her, do anything that even relates to her, or you'll hear from me."

I couldn't stand it anymore. I stared directly into his eyes, challenging him.

"Or what?"

"Or, Mr. Lee, I can't guarantee Miss Sorenson's safety. Accidents happen."

Holy shit, that sick, twisted bastard. He's threatening Sang, my Sang, the girl I love, because our missions haven't had as much accuracy. Even the Academy, I realize, can be corrupt. The most unfortunate thing about it is that the one who's corrupt is the one who runs it.

"You wouldn't," Mr. B growled. Even he was angry and letting it show.

Mr. Matthews tilted his head, a smirk on his lips but the threat and seriousness dancing in the inconspicuous watery blue eyes.

"Try me."

-124羰