Containment Part 12

Sang POV

We met Johnny at the bone yard, an old warehouse near the back gates of the compound. It was rare that anyone came here anymore. We didn't have cemeteries, with the exception of one small grave sitting off to the side, no one received a traditional burial anymore. The bodies were just hauled off and brought to the bone yard. Johnny and Ben had both put on a breathing mask to try and keep from breathing the stench, but along with everything else, I had gotten use to the smell.

I looked at Johnny and said, "Did you get the information for me?"

Johnny says, "I mentioned that it is a transport and recovery mission. With the reward involved, I know that there is more to it, but I cannot get any additional information. Officially, you are transporting medical supplies, but mixed into the supplies are long range armor/skull piercing bullets and the specialized rifles to fire them. Along the way you will also be picking up some travelers. They will provide additional security for the trip. Are you sure that you are up for this? This is the furthest that you will have gone off compound."

I glared at him and said, "I am up for anything that will get me out of here. Will we be able to keep the rifles and some of the ammunition as part of the deal?"

Johnny just gives me a wary look and says, "Yes, there are two that are in the cab of the truck. In addition there are your travel papers, ration cards, id's and details on where you can refuel along the way. The travel papers are real and allow you to legally travel anywhere in the United States and Canada. After the mission is completed, you can go anywhere you like. From what I have heard some cities are trying to rebuild, but in addition to the infected, you could run across military and rebels. Give me ten minutes and then I can open the back gate for you."

I walk over to the truck and start checking it out, but I can still hear Ben and Johnny talking.

Ben looks at Johnny and says, "You have been a good friend. Thank you for getting this set up for us."

Johnny looks at him and says, "Ben, watch out for her. I know that she is one of the strongest people that I have met, but I was not able to find out why she was chosen for this. It is a secret group that seems to have unlimited resources, but there are no real records as to who is involved. They call themselves the Academy."

I freeze when I hear Johnny. I have not told Ben anything about the Academy or the boys. There was no need since they abandoned me five years ago without a backward glance. They condemned me to this hell hole while they went to Ashville to a self-sustaining facility. I bet they have not had to go hungry and they did not have to go through mourning the death of...I need to stop this. I will concentrate on getting out of here.

There are so many thoughts that are going through my mind. My first thought is that I should back out because I want nothing to do with the Academy, those days are long gone, but the mission will get me out of here. The Academy is made up of many groups, so it does not mean that it is the boys. Even if it is, I will deal with them after I finish the assignment.

I look back at him and say, "Ben get the truck started. You are driving."