1. The Beginning Of The End

I do not own the vampire diaries, everything goes to their respective owners. I only own Carlotta and Andrea, and anyother characters I create out of my imagination.

Chapter 1

June 25th, 1492

Bulgaria

It was the night before my seventeenth birthday. The moon was out, and I was strolling on our grounds outside. In my hands, I held a pristine white invitation to a party I knew I would hate.

I opened the envelop, and re-read the invitation for the millionth time.

You are cordially invited to the engagement party of Prince William Charles the Fourth and Lady Katerina Sienna Petrova. 

Date: The first of July, 1492

Place: North Hill Castle, East Gardens, Bulgaria

"Miss Petrova!" A voice called. 

I whirled around, quickly hiding the note behind my back. My chamber-maid, Flavia, was dashing towards where I stood under the tall oak tree.

"Flavia, how many times do I have to tell you?" I said, exasperated. "You can call me Carlotta. It  must be easier than saying 'Miss Petrova', all day."

Flavia nodded her head. "Yes, Miss."

I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, what did you want?"

"Terribly sorry to interrupt you, Miss, but your mother wishes for you and your twin to attend a final fitting for your birthday gala, which is happening now. You'll find them in the Mirror Room."

I nodded. "Thank you, Flavia, I'll best go to that now."

Exiting the grounds and entering the main house, I dashed through the mansion, and flung the mirror room's double doors open, to find a gown with a slip of paper on it that read my name.

After I had put the dress on, I walked over to the mirrors.

When I looked in the mirrors, I saw two girls, both with chocolate brown hair, warm brown eyes, pale skin and high cheekbones, one girl was wearing a strapless scarlet red dress that clinched really tight to the girl until the corset reached her hips. Then the dress flowed out as a blood red waterfall to the floor. The other girl wore the same thing, but in emerald green, and her dress had long, billowing sleeves.

The Petrova Twins, I thought to myself with a smirk. Breaking hearts everywhere.... 

"Carlotta!" My twin's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "You look stunning! Green is definitely your color!"

I turned to face her.

"Katerina, we're identical twins!" I smiled. Then I noticed how great she looked in the scarlet dress, and I squealed. "Oh my gosh! Kat -you look like a real princess!"

Katerina had been be-throned to a prince since we were twelve, and while it -visibly- frustrated me that our parents expected her to marry a man five years older than herself, whom we've never even met, Katerina wouldn't share her feelings about it with our parents.

"Here," I said, trying to take my mind off that cruel fact. "We're meeting Prince William at the Gala, right?"

Katerina nodded, and an idea blossomed in my head.

"I'll pretend to be Prince William, and this is when we meet."

I bowed to Katerina, and, when I straightened, introduced 'myself.' 

"I'm Prince William of Bulgaria, you must be Miss Katerina Petrova." I offered her my hand, just as I'd seen men do to me countless times before.

Katerina smiled. "Please," she said, taking my hand and curtsying. "Call me Katherine."

*******************

)Andrea's POV(

Present Day, North Carolina

It was the night before my seventeenth birthday, and I was sitting at a table at the Duke Bar And Cafe. I took a sip of my soda, and looked at my phone again.

Where are you, Colette?  I thought. Sighing, I finished off my drink, just as I heard someone call my name.

"Andrea!"

I turned around to face Colette, my oldest friend, who was carrying two bottles of soda, but I knew the contents of the bottles wasn't exactly Pepsi.

"Colette!" I exclaimed, hugging her.

"Why carry your vodka in soda bottles when there's a bar across the room?" I asked pointedly.

"Hate to say it, but we're underage, meaning- we have to do the 'right thing' and 'just say no' and stay 'alcohol free!'" Colette said sarcastically, then snorted. "Yeah, right. That really works!" 

I looked longingly at the bar, and saw a boy about my age, with sandy blonde hair working behind the bar. Might as well try, just for the hell of it, I thought.

Out loud, I said,  "Hey, that looks like a new bar tender...I'm gonna go see if he'll be stupid enough to give me a glass of Smirnoff."

Colette arched an eyebrow. "Is that smart?"

I sighed. "It was my idea, let's face it-my ideas are never smart. Fun, yes; illegal, occasionally; but never smart."

With that, I got up and walked over to the bar. As I sat in one of the stools, he gaped at me.

"Elena?" He asked.

I frowned. "Uh, no. I'm Andrea. Andrea Flemming? Who's Elena?"

He blinked a few times. "Oh my God..." he whispered in shock. "You're insane..." He shook his head. "Okay. Okay, Elena. If you want to pretend you're someone else so you don't have to talk to me so we can start new, I'm Matt Donovan, nice to meet you..." 

"Andrea," I said with a nod. Who the hell was Elena? Why wouldn't she talk to Matt?

"Well, 'Andrea-' "Matt smirked at me- "What would you like to drink?"

I smiled. "One Apple Smirnoff."

Matt blinked a couple of times. "Vodka?"

I nodded, and Matt poured a glass of the vodka, and slid it across the counter to me.

I took a big gulp of it, and sighed as I felt the familiar buzz enter my bloodstream. I wasn't a big drinker, but it was my birthday. Why not, you know?

Matt rolled his eyes again, and left.

Whatever, who needs him? I thought to myself.

He did give you a free drink, Andrea, he can't be that bad, a voice in my head reminded me.

He thought I was someone else! I exclaimed at the voice. And an insane one at that!

But still, he had to be nice to give you it in the first place if 'Elena' wasn't talking to him, the voice pointed out.

I envisioned myself ripping the voice's throat out.

"Hey, Andrea!" Colette called. I whirled around on the stool to face her. "I'm gonna go. I have to go get ready for tonight, 'kay?"

I nodded, and she walked out.

Sighing, I tried to take another sip of the drink, but nearly choked. I put the glass down. 

"Andrea!" Erica called my name. "You coming?"

I nodded, and we all walked out together.