2. The Great Chase

Chapter 2

)Carlotta's POV(

Somewhere outside Atlanta, Georgia

My eyes snapped open from the deep sleep I had been in. I smiled wistfully as I remembered that day. Moonshine, sisters, scarlet red, emerald green, mirrors.... And also the last few hours of normality, before...him. 

As if summoned by my thoughts, someone snapped a brittle branch a few feet away. Immediately, I sprang up and took off sprinting.

I ran through the forest, following my instincts as they took me North-East from Atlanta, Georgia. The wind brushed through my hair, and  I glanced behind me, to see who my pursuer was. I nearly screamed as I saw Finn Mikaelson, hot on my tail. Who removed the dagger?  I thought in sheer horror. 

"Katerina!" He called, waving his arms, frantic to get 'my' attention. 

But I doubled my speed, knowing what would happen if I stopped. Finn would get me, and the game would be over.

I was right by Duke University at this point, and I was about to pass out- going without blood for a week was not a good idea.

So, I instantly blended in with the crowd, shoved a pair of big purple sunglasses on my face and quickly put the hood to my grey sweater up, concealing my pin-straight chocolate brown hair. I saw Finn appear at the bottom of the road, and, to avoid being seen, I smoothly joined a group of girls who were entering a building whose sign read: Duke Bar and Cafe.  

Not paying attention, I walked into the building, just as another girl walked out. Katerina? I gawked at my sister as she walked out, carefree, oblivious to Finn, who was just about to see her. 

A girl shoved her into her, and Katerina hit the ground with force. When she rose, there was something red on her knees.

And then I smelt the blood.

The unmistakeably human blood.

I felt the veins rush to my eyes, and, not daring myself to take my eyes off the girl, counted to three, and took deep breaths as I felt the veins settle down. 

That's when Finn spotted her.

"No!" I screeched, and shot next to the girl, who stood there, paralyzed as Finn's gaze focused intensely on her. 

"Katerina," Finn nodded to the girl, then to me. If he was shocked, he didn't let on. "Carlotta. Good to see you again. I thought you were still in Bulgaria, with your parents."

"Finn," I hissed. "Good to see you..." I trailed off, searching for the right words while smirking. "Un-daggered. And you would've known if I was still with my parents- you helped Klaus, Rebekkah and Kol kill them."

"Did I?" He arched an eyebrow. "Because I only remember killing your father..."

I snarled at him. "Leave us alone."

"No can do, Miss Petrova," Finn smirked. "Klaus really wanted to see Katerina here, ergo..." He trailed off, looking pointedly at the girl.

It was my turn to smirk. "Aw, is the great Finn a messenger now? Can you give Klaus a message for me?"

He sighed. "If I must, although, Klaus didn't send me to fetch you. I'm here for Katerina, not you. Tell her, and she can tell him."

I shook my head. "You have to tell him. Here, tell him this: You broke your promise, Klaus. And next time you see me, I won't be Katerina. I'll be evening the score."