The Aftermath

"Wait. Wait. Wait. You cheated on Noah?" Hayley asked astonished. "I thought he had done something awful not the other way around."

"Hales, I told you he hadn't done anything," I tried to explain.

"Well I thought you were protecting him or something. Not even that; let me see if I got this right, the entire time I was upset about Jack cheating on me, you had been doing the same thing to Noah" she exclaimed in an accusatory tone. "Not feeling guilty in the slightest bit? "

"It's not that simple, Hayley," I offered up but she did not stop there.

"Does he even know that you've done that to him?"

"Yes.."

"Wow Alexis, how could you do that? Especially to him, he was our best friend. He trusted you! I thought you were different." With that she walked out of my room.

This had been the reason I never really told her any of this. She didn't understand. Not that I am trying to justify that cheating is okay for people to do under any circumstance, but he forgave me and he was the one getting cheated on, not her.

A soft knock came from my door and Kyler entered.

"Hi," I spoke softly.

"Hey," he responded just as quietly. "Hales wanted me to let you know that she is really upset at you and that she will not be staying here the next couple nights."

"That does not surprise me after she handled things," I responded upset. "Can you just tell her that I'm sorry, I understand she is upset but even Noah has moved past everything."

"Of course, hey we can talk later if you'd like," he offered.

"Thanks but I'm fine." I stared down into my lap.

"Okay, well offer still stands. Also Alexis?" I looked up, acknowledging that I heard him. "Congrats, on you and Jace. He really is a nice guy, so don't screw with him. He gets hurt just like everyone else."

"There is nothing going on between us. He is just my roommate for the summer, then we go back to our normal lives without doing this meet and greet program."

With that being left in the air, Kyler shut the door behind him. I was left sitting alone in my room once again. I rested my head back against my pillow debating whether I should go back to sleep, ignoring the events of this morning or actually get up and interact with the world. I did neither and instead chose to leave my room and walk down the hall.

I silently opened the door to Jace's room to see him still peacefully sleeping. It's nice to know that someone in this place out a calm morning. His room was still dark and quiet as ever, so I decided to shut the door behind me after walking in. I got into bed with him, laying next to him. He, from what I am assuming, subconsciously wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against him.

He let out a low groan. It wasn't intended to be sexual, it was more of a comforting noise.

"Don't say anything. It's not the morning for any sarcastic shit to come from your mouth. Please," I begged him. I just wanted to rest and forget the moment that occurred earlier.

He didn't say anything, he simply nuzzled his face into my neck as I fell back asleep.

*****

The day progressed and as Kyler informed me, Hayley had been gone the entire day. She had not responded to a single phone call or text of mine. Interestingly enough, I may have been ignored by her but I received a text message from Noah in the late afternoon today. He wanted to get together soon. He explained that lunch the other day was fun and he missed having me around. I hadn't responded, not knowing what to say to him.

It was nine in the evening when I finally knew what to do. Jace had woken up this morning leaving me in bed by myself after the events that had occurred. I guess he had decided to head out. I took the time of having the place to myself to read a book. That's when I realized I was going crazy being here alone. Jace had only stopped by for an hour this afternoon to take a shower and then he headed back out and I hadn't seen him all day either. By the time that it is now, I had decided to respond to Noah's text. However, I did not text him back, I walked over to his house and knocked on the door.

"Come on Alexis, you can do this," I encouraged myself. "This morning you were in bed with Jace as he comforted you and then you woke up to him having left you by yourself. Your best friend is mad at you. Who else do you have?"

My conversation with myself was interrupted by Noah opening the door.

"Alexis?" He asked, well really it was more of a concerned statement.

"Is this a bad time?" I asked while looking past him and seeing a couple guys and a girl on the couch.

"No..uh.. I was just hanging with some buddies" he stammered. "I didn't think you would be knocking on my door."

"If you're busy it's fine, I just thought maybe we could go on a walk and talk some. Maybe get some coffee?" I suggested.

"We can definitely do that, let me just grab my keys." He ran back into the house leaving the door open. I felt awkward standing there with the girl on the couch just staring at me. Is that his girlfriend? I was wondering, but my thoughts were soon interrupted by Noah walking out and shutting the door behind him.

*****

We walked to a cafe that was a mile down the road and ordered a few drinks. While sitting there we reminisced over the years of friendship we've had and how much we have missed since the breakup. He told me all about his girlfriend, Abigail. How she was gorgeous and funny. She is completely selfless and cares so much for her siblings that she is basically a second mother. Think of Wendy to the lost boys (yes, I just referenced Peter Pan).

As the night went on we finished our drinks and decided to walk back to the house.

"I told Hayley everything, and to say the least she is more upset with me than you have ever been," I explained while playing with my fingers. "She isn't even staying at the house."

"I'm sorry, Ali," Noah consoled me with a hug. It was nice to be embraced by Noah again. He was once my best friend and I really did enjoy his company when we were together. I missed that and at times I missed him. I missed us.

His hug was warm and comforting. Hayley had been my best friend for ages, but with Noah we were the three amigos. This past year has been a hard year on all of us, but one good thing to come from it was this hug. I soaked up his hug and couldn't get enough, but then he started pulling back.

As he pulled back, I stared at him. Into those eyes. I couldn't help what happened next, but I kissed him. Yes, I kissed my ex-boyfriend that I cheated on that very year, and who has a girlfriend currently. A girlfriend who is just perfect in his eyes but he doesn't love. Where Noah had once been in love with me.

But what surprised me the most was that this boy, with a perfect girlfriend, was kissing me back. His hands were on my waist pulling me into him and I couldn't help but make it like every movie where my hands went to wrap around his neck.

There we stood, on the middle of the sidewalk, kissing for all to see.