Chapter 1: Nightmares

Alex tossed and turned in her sleep. The nightmares never seem to stop. Always the same, always as haunting as the ones before. "You deserve it. You've been nothing but a burden on this family." His voice was icy and so full of hate. She screamed, but knew it would only make things worse. Alex crawled to the corner and pulled her knees to her chest. Unable to breathe she sobbed burring her face. "How many times have I told you not to run? You'll remember after this!"

Alex bolted up in her bed gasping for air. Sweat ran down her forehead and she was shaking again. She looked around to take in her surroundings. She was in her dorm. She was safe. The green and black colors that filled the room calmed her. Alex kicked off her covers and slipped out of bed. She pulled on her shoes and grabbed her wand. She needed fresh air. Walking carefully, so not to wake her room mates she entered the common room. Examining the clock she found it was only 1:30 am. "Great..." she mumbled. The walled opened as she came to it and she was met with a cold dark hallway. "Lumous." An orb of blue light rested on the tip of her wand. Cursing the moving stair cases along the way Alex descended the steps leading to the entrance to the castle. She had successfully made it past Filch and she was out.

The cold crisp breeze met her skin harshly and of course her hoodie was in her room leaving Alex in just her pj's. At least she had long sleeves, she always did. Slowly Alex made her way to the black lake; her wand illuminating her path. The moonlight looked so beautiful dancing off the water. She was instantly calmer. This was her spot. Her escape from this world. She was quickly lost staring at the mysterious surface of the lake wondering what amazing worlds lies beneath. She sat for a long time unmoving. When a voice from behind her pulled her from her thoughts. "What do you think your doing outside of the castle at this time?!" The voice was cold and very unmistakable. Alex whirled around to meet the dark eyes of Professor Snape. They reminded her much of the lake. He stood tall and demanding waiting impatiently for her answer.

"I was...uh..just.." She couldn't get the words out of her mouth.

"Just what? Being stupid? Do you know how dangerous this place can be at night?! Or does that even matter to you? Insolent children you're all the same. Careless idiots." His demeanor remained calm and unwavering but there was an iciness to his voice. Alex felt a fire rage within her. She stepped forward balling her fists. She had a hell of a temper at times.

"I. AM. NOT. AN. IDIOT!!!" She yelled her voice holding. Snape cocked an eyebrow.

"Feeling brave are we Ms. Knight? Detention for your stupidity and another for your cheek." A wicked smirk came to his face as he said this. Her eyes burned into his. Anger flooding her entire body. How dare he? He doesn't even know me despite teaching me for almost five years! She thought. She matched his smirk then.

"Why are you out then Professor; since its so dangerous?" Anger flashed in his eyes.

"I was on patrol when I saw a light by the lake I knew it had to be a dunderhead such as yourself so I came to bring you back to the castle. I warn you not to test me Ms. Knight.. my patience may just where thin." He warned speaking though gritted teeth.

"Yeah I'm the dunderhead." Alex mumbled under her breath.

"Would you like to speak up Ms. Knight I didn't quite hear you." She didn't answer instead she marched past him heading to the castle. Snape grabbed her arm and pulled her back. Her body stiffened and she began to tremble again but not with anger, with fear. He raised his other hand and Alex flinched preparing herself. "You- wait why did you- Do you think I'm going to hit you?!" He dropped her arm and stared at her in disbelief. "Answer me!" He yelled this time; something he hardly does. Alex's eyes brimmed with tears. She turned and ran before he could see. Alex heard him yelling for her, but she only ran faster as she entered the castle. "Knox." she whispered and her wand light disappeared. He was close behind she could here him. She ran down a dark corridor and into the shadows. She fell and pulled her knees to her chest and let the tears flow. She had just made a complete fool of herself in front of her professor and head of house, but it was just what she expected she couldn't help her reflexes. She looked weak. There was nothing worse in her opinion. Snape's foot steps came closer no longer running. She tried to make herself as unnoticeable as possible but it was no use. He had seen her. "Ms. Knight." His voice was soft, she had never heard him like that. Snape knelt down and looked like he was about to say something, but dismissed it and simply stated. "Go to bed." With that he got up and whirled around walking fast. He looked like a bat the way his capes billowed around him. Alex stood and slowly walked back to her dorm confused and upset.

----------------------------

So I know this was short but its just to get things started this is my first story and I hope you like the first chapter comments are sooooo welcome and votes of course! Lots of love -Savannah. P.S. the way the talk may not be the right words for a brittish person but I've lived in the u.s. my whole life so please bear with me. :D