Chapter 3: Unexpected Visitor

Snape's P.O.V.

   I ran as fast as I could through the dungeons. Alex's limp body lay in my arms. After what seemed like forever I was at the infirmary. Albus was already there his normal calm self. I could curse him right now for not allowing apparation in the school. "Severus what happened to this child?!" Poppy came rushing from her office. I laid Alex on a bed, and turned to Poppy.

   "I have no time to explain. Do you have an antidote to Death-cap?" I maintained my usual demeanor, but on the inside I was terrified. She could already be dead.

   "Death-Cap?!?! Severus what have you done?!" She shrieked at me. I could feel my anger increasing. She actually thought I could do this to her?

"Do you have the antidote or not!" I spoke through gritted teeth. Albus still remained silent as she turned around in a huff and looked though her stores. I stared down at Alex she looked so fragile. I was so scared for her. She couldn't die. This can't happen to me again. Alex was so small, but not weak no. She was strong she could make it through this. I took the seat next to her bed, and moved some of the long black hair out of her face. She was still breathing, but it was weak and strangled. Poppy rushed back over to Alex with a small vial in her hand.

  "Severus lift her head." I stood quickly and did as told. Poppy poured the antidote into her mouth and I rubbed her neck to force it down. Her skin was cold. I prayed we weren't to late. When the potion was gone I softly laid her head back on the pillow and puled the blankets up around her. Poppy and Albus gave me a quizzical stare. I sneered in response.

   "Why is she not waking it was the antidote correct?" I said turning to Poppy. She wore an annnoyed expression.

   "Of course, but surely you must know Severus the potion has had some time to work; she was barely breathing she may not wake for days. And what has happened to the poor girls hand?"

  "Well since you're so fond of jumping to conclusions  why don't you tell me." I hissed at her. I felt Dumbledore's hand on my shoulder.

   "Severus what has happened?" Albus's voice didn't sound cynical or threatening, but trusting. The only man who has ever trusted me. I let go of some of my anger and began to explain.

   "Miss. Knight here had detention with me for being out of the castle after hours. When she showed I told her to organize my stores as punishment without magic. It was about an hour or so later when I heard a vial shatter on the floor. I was making my way over to her when she screamed. Glass was in her hand and she was bleeding badly. Upon examining the potion I noticed it was Death-Cap and searched for an antidote to however much may have gotten in her hand. I didn't have any made yet. She was loosing consciousness so I sent my patronous to you and ran here as fast as I could." I looked from him to Poppy who looked a bit guilty. "Her hand still needs to be treated." Poppy didn't say anything she just took Alex's hand and began taking the glass out and treating it.

   "Severus may I speak with you in the hall for a moment." I nodded and stood from my chair and walked out of the door. Once in the hall Albus shut the doors behind us. "I don't think I've ever seen you quite so worried about a student." He simply stated. Oh Merlin what was he up to?

   "She almost died on my watch Albus and we've yet to find out if she will or not."

   "She will be fine. But still is there anything you would like to tell me?"

   "No."

   "Severus you may be able to hide your feelings from the rest of the world but I know you far too well. Truth be known the last time I saw you worried it was-"