Part 10

It's been three weeks since Zane was brought to the hospital. The doctors said that he was doing better and his life wasn't in critical danger anymore. We were allowed to visit for the first time today.

I walked into the room Zane was in. The room was rather small. There were two chairs under a window. He was laying in a bed, bandages around his chest. Seeing the fur I loved hooked up to all these machines and reduced to nothing but skin and bones was hard. I wished that my mom had never come home that night.

"Tyler, you okay?" Zane's mom, Jessica, asked me.

"Yeah Jess, thanks for being here with me."

"Sure thing. How long has it been since you slept?" she asked because of the bags under my eyes.

"I don't know, a few days?"

"You should go back to the house and sleep a little. I'll text you if anything happens." I had been staying at Zane's house with his mom since the incident.

"I'll be fine. I just want to be here in case he wakes up."

"Tyler. It won't do much good for anyone if you can't do anything from lack of sleep. You need to sleep." Jess looked at me sternly.

I sighed knowing she was right. "Alright, I'll go home for a bit. Text me if anything changes."

Jess nodded. I turned and started to head out of the building. My brother was waiting in the hospital lobby.

"Hey little bro, long time no see. I heard what happened to your boyfriend. Where have you been staying the past three weeks?"

"Hey Jake. I've been at Zane's house. I thought you were out of state for another month."

"I was supposed to be. When I heard what happened I decided to visit. The school said it was fine to take a week break so I need to head back in three days. Need a ride?"

"Yeah, thanks."

We made our way to Jake's car. I got in on the passengers side. The drive back to Zane's house was rather quiet. I only spoke to give Jake directions.

"So, little bro, how ya holdin' up?"

"I'm fine, just need to sleep."

"Ya sure? There's nothing I can do?"

"No there's nothing for you to do!" I snapped. "Not unless you can heal him!" I ran upstairs to Zane's room, slamming the door behind me.

I tried to calm down but couldn't. I whimpered to myself, "why didn't you stop her? Was there really nothing I could do?" Slumping to the floor I curled into a ball hoping that Zane would wake up soon.

I looked up to an unfamiliar room. Oh, that's right, I went into Zane's room instead of the guest room earlier.

I crawled weakly over to Zane's bed. Lifting myself onto it I buried my head in his pillow, inhaling his scent. Remembering what Zane looked like earlier I began to cry.

It had been some time before my crying died down. No more tears came, just sniffling and shaking. With even more energy taken out of me and lack of sleep I fell asleep without even trying.