Chapter 9.

Safia’s POV

“Well I’ve found a flaw in Yusuf.” Hamza said after I let him into my room.

“What do you mean?” I asked, unable to work out whether he was serious or not.

“He’s so stupid. He’s this crazy football fanatic. He came to play after I invited him even though the guy has this ankle injury and the doctor told him he shouldn’t play but he came anyway because he finds Sundays boring. He was pretty good though, I’ll admit that, but by the end I could tell his was in agony. He was clenching his teeth and pretending to smile telling us he’s fine. He actually limped all the way to his car.”

“So the guy has a passion. How’s that a flaw?” Although, he should take better care of his health but I guess it’s hard to sometimes give up something you enjoyed so much. If the doctors told me to stop reading stories, I’d go into depression.

“It’s not bad but it was just a little stupid. Anyway, he stopped playing a little while after half time and filled this out for you.” He replied handing me a piece of paper. Already? I thought to myself. I thought he’d take the questions home, write the answers and then hand it back to Hamza next week. Looking down at the folded paper, I gulped nervously. What was written on this sheet could possibly determine my future. “Oh, I forgot to tell you! I took a picture of him slyly for you. Wanna see?” Hamza took his phone out.

“No!” I didn’t want to judge him by the way he looked. I had made up my mind earlier today. I had locked myself in my room and lost myself deep in thought. I didn’t want to be stupid and think things emotionally. I had to use logic and reason. I thought back to Talha and Abubakar, and even Abubakar’s friend. I thought I liked them because of their personalities, but I had no idea what sort of personalities they had. I figured that may have been a justification for finding their looks attractive. I claimed I wasn’t shallow and superficial but my past crushes made me realize, I kind of was. All three of them were good looking. I had no idea who they were yet I had these stupid feelings for them, even if the feelings were tiny. “If he’s a good guy, if I get to know him a little better and we both agree, I don’t wanna see him before the Nikah.” I told Hamza. This was the decision all my thoughts led to. If I married him, I would love him. I was sure of that. I had full faith in Allah that I would love my husband. Also, he had a brown beard, so surely he wasn’t too bad.

“You what? Are you crazy?” Hamza sounded alarmed.

“Look, I thought very hard about this. Trust me.”

“What if he doesn’t agree to this?” I had thought about that. I had no idea what he’d think of me if he saw me. Maybe if the first time he saw me, as his wife, he’d find me attractive. That’s what I was hoping for. That’s what I was praying to Allah for.

“I’m not sure. Let’s just go with the flow.” Hamza looked very unsure. “Can I read this alone please?” He nodded and walked away, shutting the door behind him. I took a deep breath and opened the piece of paper, feeling slightly excited that my possible future husband wrote on it.

1)    What are your views on women working? For example, a woman becoming a teacher.

  I have no problem with women working. I think a teacher is a good occupation. However, I don’t believe women should be career orientated. Neither should men. Family comes first.

I was so tempted to just marry him then and there. That was the perfect answer! It was like he wrote down my thoughts.

2)     Do you get along well with children?

   I don’t have much experience with children but I do like them. They’re amusing and cute, like your niece Sara.