Chapter 37.

Yusuf’s POV

Talking to Safia’s dad was frightening. I thought he would be bitter or rude towards me but he was okay. I showed him the car which made him raise an eyebrow but he appreciated the fact that I was trying. He wasn’t too keen on the flat I was renting either. But I convinced him it was enough for Safia and I. I mean, how much space did we need? We sat at the flat and talked for a while before we separately drove back to Uncle Dawud’s house.

When I got there, Hamza led me to Safia’s room. I felt so excited and impatient to see my wife again, to be with her again. I wanted to push everyone aside and run to her. But of course, no matter how I felt, I had to be civil, especially because of recent events with Uncle Dawud. I had to prove I was good enough for Safia despite my low income and arthritis. He knocked and shortly, Hafsa and another girl came out. Hamza left too as I went in.

When my eyes fell upon hers, I froze. I didn’t run to her and hold her like I planned to. I just froze. She was dressed up and looked more than beautiful. I slowly shut the door behind me. For a moment I was lost just staring at her. There were so many feelings I didn’t know what to do. Then she ran into me and quickly wrapped my arms around her. I held her so close as if I was afraid of letting her go. She was silently crying so I kissed the side of her face to make her stop. I couldn’t stand tears falling from Safia’s eyes. I inhaled her scent and treasured her touch as I thought about how long it had been since I last held her.

When Safia and I got to our flat, I was really grateful for how supportive she was. She didn’t complain about the car or the size of the flat. She told me she loved them both. I was nervous about telling her our little problem regarding money. She asked me about my family but I didn’t want to talk too much about them.

Mum obviously fussed over this telling me I was choosing my wife over her but I bore it with patience, promising I would visit her often. Dad, as usual, didn’t have much to say. I really wondered what went through his head sometimes. He was becoming quieter and quieter over the years. Maryam was the only one who was truly happy for me but she was upset that I was going. I worried about leaving her behind but I had no choice.

I built up the courage and told Safia about our current situation. She was obviously shocked. Then her face lit up.

“My dad-“

“Won’t approve of you being with me if he knew I had no money. It took a lot to convince him I was good enough for you. You can’t tell him. We’ll just have to find a way to survive on our own.” I said and her face fell.

“Okay.” She replied. I put my arms around her.

“It’ll be okay.” I kissed her forehead and she leaned into me. “Besides, we’re together. Surely that’s worth this.” She moved her head back and looked up at me.

“Yeah.” She smiled and pulled at my beard. “I haven’t done that in ages!” I poked her sides knowing that she was very ticklish. She screamed and fell on the floor. I was holding my stomach laughing as she shouted at me. “That is not cute, funny or romantic. That is torture! Do not ever do that again!”

“You pulled my beard first!”

“Yeah well that’s nothing compared to this.” She got up and sat as far as she could from me. I moved closer and she got up. “I don’t trust you.”

“I won’t tickle you again. Sit down.”

“Promise me you won’t tickle me.”

“Okay.”

“No! You have to say you promise.”

“Okay, I promise!” She sat down awkwardly keeping an eye on my hands making sure I don’t tickle her. She jumped as I grabbed her and pulled her close.