Chapter 73.

Safia’s POV

Day by day Adam was getting bigger and stronger. I began to wrap him so his arms were trapped in his blanket so he wouldn’t scratch himself but mum said that the heat would make him feel warm and worsen his eczema and make his skin itchier.

The results came from his allergy tests and I wanted to scream seeing how much he was allergic to. Everything I was eating and drinking was going into him through me and making his eczema worse. At first, the dietitian advised I cut those foods out of my diet. I did for a couple of weeks. I stayed away from anything containing cow’s milk, nuts, wheat, lentils and other foods too. The results of that weren’t good. Both Adam and Maria were beginning to lack nutrition.

The dietitian then prescribed Adam special milk instead but I was advised to resume feeding Maria like normal and go back to eating everything I used to eat. The downside was that the milk smelt like cat food. At first Adam refused to drink it and I didn’t blame him. But slowly he got used to it.

The babies were growing so quickly. Before we knew it, they were sitting; with support of course but sitting nonetheless. It was such a lovely sight. They recognized people too now. Adam would stop crying if Yusuf picked him up. Maria, on the other hand, was more attached to Hamza. That only inflated his ego.

“She just proves how irresistible I am,” He commented one day, while he picked her up and she stopped crying.

“You’re disgusting,” I replied.

“I agree,” Amy added.

“Oh please. You’re the other living proof of how irresistible I am,” Hamza said to Amy.

“I think it’s time for me to confess. Hamza, I married you out of pity. Surely deep down you knew that the whole time.” I grinned, feeling very entertained by Hamza and Amy’s jokey argument.

“It’s okay Amy. I know you feel outshined with such a magnificent husband, but I don’t mind. You don’t need to make stuff up to feel better about yourself.”

“That was a good one,” I said, turning to Amy, waiting for a response.

“Safia, you’re such a stirrer. Stop stirring trouble.”

“Me? Stirring trouble? I brought you two together.”

“Safia, Amy’s words are those of a loser’s because she doesn’t have a comeback. Don’t take it to heart.” Hamza said, making Maria stand on his lap. “She’s strong masha’allah.”

“Who me? I know.” Amy flexed her muscles.

“Don’t flatter yourself. I was talking about Maria. Isn’t that right, little princess.”

“You’ve got to admit, I am strong though. I singlehandedly moved the entire huge wardrobe to the other side of the room.” Hamza replied to her but I was starting to zone out of Hamza and Amy’s conversation. My mind slowly wandered elsewhere.

I was really feeling better now. I felt like I was coming out of that enclosed walls of depression. Every day, it was breaking down more and more. I was noticing things better. I had been too self-absorbed to have seen Amy’s improvement from her mourning state. She was returning to her normal self, although, the mention of a mother made her quite sad.

Someone threw a little ball on me and snapped me out of my thoughts.

“And you say your honeymoon period was over,” Hafsa said strolling in.

“Actually, I wasn’t thinking about Yusuf.”

“Sure you weren’t,” Amy said, wiggling her eyebrows.