Chapter 74.

Yusuf’s POV

I rubbed my tired eyes for the hundredth time, sitting on the train. I was on my way to mum’s house after work. Adam had scratched himself and caused a wound at night again, so I'd woken up much earlier than intended. Now I had a leaking tap to fix in the upstairs bathroom at mum’s house.

We were still using different creams to control Adam’s eczema. The doctor prescribed some strong steroid creams which helped but every now and then, his eczema would flare up and he’d scratch and cry. It was tough but we were managing with everyone’s help.

I still wanted to move. I just didn’t feel right there. I understood it was tough to take care of two children, especially with one who had eczema and needed to be watched over at all times. But I really believed they were at a stage where it was easier for Safia to take care of them. And she had me to help, when I wasn’t at work.

At least now with my new job, I was getting better pay. I was beginning to save up again and I could see a brighter future.

Only three times since my parents’ divorce had I brought the babies for mum to see. She was still being too stubborn to come to see them and possibly apologise to Safia’s family. Dad drove Safia and I with the babies to see mum and Javed. I only took the children in the house for a little while. Mum was incredibly pleased to see them and Javed surprised me every time he held them and played with them.

I was limping slightly as I walked from the station to mum’s house. I was too tired to care about my ankle. I sent Maryam a text telling her to open the door so I wouldn’t have to stand around and wait for the door to open.

“Asalamu’alaykum,” Maryam said eagerly, standing at the door.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam.”

“Where are Adam and Maria?” She asked disappointed.

“Good to see you too.”

“You didn’t bring them?”

“I told you already, I’m coming from work.”

“But I thought you were just saying that and you were going to surprise us by bringing them.”

“And why were you thinking that?”

“Wishful thinking?”

“Sorry. Maybe next time. Or next time you’re with dad, come around. Now will you let me inside even though I didn’t bring Adam and Maria?” Maryam thought for a moment.

“If I let you in, can you buy me a cheeseburger?”

“What?” I frowned at her unusual request. Maryam wasn’t a huge fan of junk food.

“Yes or no?”

“Fine. I’ll buy you one now can I come in?”

“Sure.” She moved to the side and I went in to greet mum. Dad wasn’t the only one aging. Mum was aging too. She wasn’t taking care of herself like she used to either. I could see the white roots of her hair more apparent than ever. She wasn’t dying her hair as often. Her skin was becoming rough too, not soft and moisturized like it used to be.

“Are you not taking care of yourself?” I asked and mum just shrugged.

“How are Adam and Maria?”

“Good alhamdulillah.”

“Show us the latest pictures,” Maryam said, sitting next to me.

“I sent you the latest pictures already.”