Chapter 24.

Yusuf’s POV

Javed and I hadn’t spoken properly since I got married. It didn’t trouble me much until I left for my honeymoon with Safia. I had gone to his room for a farewell and he looked completely uninterested. He didn’t even reply to me and kind of shut the door on my face. That opened my eyes up to how the rest of my family was reacting to me leaving.

When I had gone to Safia’s house, everyone hugged her and said a goodbye personally. They even came to me and said their goodbyes. And here was my family, not at all bothered that I was going away for nearly two weeks. All except Maryam. Even she seemed to be more upset over Safia leaving rather than me. I felt a tinge of jealousy towards Safia. Everyone loved her, including me. Yet I felt my own family seemed bothered by my presence.

“Okay, you’re clearly not listening so I’ll just be quiet.” Safia said as we sat on the plane on our way to Istanbul.

“Sorry, what is it that you were saying?”

“Never mind, the moment’s gone.” I apologized, as I went through all the films in the little TV in front of me. “I don’t mean to put a dampener on things, but you seem unhappy. What’s wrong?” Safia asked. I couldn’t tell her what was wrong. It was silly. Besides, Safia didn’t like negativity from other people. She liked to be happy and optimistic.

“Nothing.” I replied glumly. I leaned over Safia to get a view of the earth beneath us, hoping she would drop the topic.

“Just tell me!” She said narrowing her eyes at me.

“My wife is more concerned about her studies than me.” I said pointing to the book in her hands.

“Excuse me, this is for entertainment as well as education.” I took the book out of her hands and shut it, making sure to fold the page she was on first.

“This is our time. You can study when we get back. I’ll help you best I can, just forget it for a little while.”

“Okay.” She said pouting.

“Cheer up.” I said poking her cheeks, something which I had started to do often.

“You’re the one who’s sad. You cheer up.” She said pulling my beard.

“Ow! If you want to pull my beard, pull it all together. When you pull only a few strands, it hurts more.”

“Thank you for teaching me how to pull beards.” She said pulling at a few strands. I grabbed her hand and pretended to bite it when the air hostess slowed down as she walked past us. She looked at us as if asking if everything was okay. Safia grinned back at her and the air hostess continued walking.

“I was the one being abused so why did she look worried for you? Besides, who bites their wives?”

“You do.” She said yanking away her hand. Then Safia became thoughtful.

“What are you thinking?”

“Remember the friend I told you about? The revert who moved to Germany?” I nodded. Safia seemed to have a very close bond with that friend. “Her fiancé bit her two days before everything ended.”

“A serious bite?” I asked horrified.

“Yeah, they were having a fight.”

“So he bit her? How? Why?”

“Well, they were having a verbal argument, then it got physical and she slapped him. Then somehow he bit her on her arm. But she was still prepared to stay with him. But then everything got really bad and ended, thankfully.”