Chapter 52.

Safia’s POV

“Wake up! Wake up! Hamza and Amy are getting married!” I said to Yusuf as soon as I woke up and remembered what day it was.

“Okay, I’m awake now. You can stop shaking me.”

“I don’t think I was this excited for my own wedding! Have you noticed that since I’ve been married, I’ve been finding it easier to wake up earlier?” I asked thinking about how I was refusing to wake up early on my own wedding day.

“I don’t know. I never knew you before we got married.”

“Oh yeah!” I sometimes forgot that I only met Yusuf less than a year ago. I felt like I’d known him my entire life.

With great enthusiasm, I pushed the blanket off me, only to wrap it around me again. It was so cold. Yusuf sat up rubbing his eyes and face. He checked the time.

“It’s 10 o’clock! That’s not early.”

“Earlier than when I used to wake up.” I said and wrapped my night gown around me, forcing myself to get out of bed.

Once we were ready, we didn’t waste any time going to my parents’ house. All of us girls were going to meet there and get dressed up. Yusuf wore his thobe and that was it, he was ready. And he looked good. When we arrived at my parents’ house, I felt so thrilled that I was Yusuf’s wife. It was one of those days where he was just looking much more handsome than usual. Maybe it was because life was now getting much better. We were finding the ease after the hardship. That was physically evident from Yusuf’s glow.

The men were all downstairs and the women were upstairs getting ready. It was chaotic but I found it strangely peaceful.

“Hafsa! Where did you put my mascara?” Aisha shouted to Hafsa who was in the next room.

“I wasn’t using it!” She shouted back. Maybe peaceful wasn’t the right word. But I was just so happy that we were all together on this special occasion. I went into each room saying salaam to everyone. There were girls getting ready in my old room which was taken over by Zayna, in Aisha’s room and even in Amaan’s room. The only door that was closed was mum’s. We had a third floor with one large room where Aisha used to sleep during her visits before but the rooms were swapped with Hamza so Hamza and Amy could have their privacy as a new married couple.

Hamza was close to getting a house of his own but because of Mrs Faber’s health, they were getting married before he could get one. For this reason, Amy had to move in with our family. Everyone was more than happy to have her move in with them.

“Where’s the bride?” I asked no one in particular.

“I texted her, she said she’s on her way.”  Hafsa told me. I thought my wedding was sort of simple. We hired a hall for the purpose of space, it wasn’t decorated extravagantly. But this wedding was the true definition of simple. The whole wedding was going to take place at home for the girls and at the mosque for the guys. Amy hadn’t even hired anyone for makeup and hair. She was going to do her own make up and Faiza was going to do her hair.

I delayed getting dressed up even though everyone kept asking me to. There was no point. The wedding was in the evening after Isha because Isha finished so early. It would be a hassle to pray all my prayers while dressed up. Instead, I went around helping everyone else by ironing clothes or maybe fixing their makeup.

When Amy came, I ran outside and we crashed into each other with a hug.

“You’re getting married!” I squealed. She just smiled before she pushed Mrs Faber’s wheelchair into the house. Mum and Aunty Asma were downstairs so we took Mrs Faber to them. They welcomed her and Amy asked if it was okay for her to leave and go upstairs. They all said in unison that it was fine. I noticed Mrs Faber’s speech was much better.