Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Ben P.O.V (first)

We drove in silence and I hated it I needed her to talk to say something just driving was making me go insane I had to hear what was going on in her head.

"Afia-" I started.

"Shh." She said looking at me then turning back to the road. So, that's how we drove in silence for a while before stopping in a field, like the field where you go to play football in. She was silent for a minute before getting out of the car I followed behind her with pure curiosity swimming in my head.

She stared around for a moment before looking at me, and that's when I stared at her in a different light then I usually did,thing is I didn't know which light it was.

"My sister use to take me here to watch her boyfriend, Angelo, play football. I mean she had no choice but to take me really, she didn't want our parents to know about her being in a relationship, because she knew that they would hate him because he wasn't who they chose and he wasn't black. So, they hid their relationship until my parents found out and disowned her and she moved away with him to California," She looked at the field a while before continuing, "Ben that's why I want that ticket to California because after graduation I am going to move there to be with her," She paused and closed her eyes and breathed in and looked at me with unshed tears in her eyes, "I told you some of my truth now it is time for you to tell me yours."

Not being able to handle her stare for any longer I looked down at the brown grass hoping it would give me the strength to be able to say it closing my eyes shut I started,

"Muffy and I-we have known each since the first day I came home from the hospital she was two years older than I was and she never even glanced my way when we were growing up, I had always had a crush on her I never knew what attracted me most about her whether it was her way of being the dominant one or the way of clearing a hallway just by the flick of the hair. Looking back at it I think it was more of obsession really, but she never paid any attention to me like I said and that all changed when I was the first freshmen to become starting running back for the varsity team, then she started coming to my games cheering me on and she began sitting with us at lunch always flirting with me until one day after practice I saw her hanging with a few of cheerleaders and I simply asked her out and she said yes, we were happy or at least I thought we were until she told me the day of her graduation that she was leaving me for my brother and they were moving to Orlando to start up his new business."

"Are you still in love with her?" She asked sitting down on the hood. I tensed I didn't know if I really did still love her or not, I have asked that question to myself millions of times at night when I am by myself and I even asked it to Ryan hoping the information wouldn't be passed down to anyone else I didn't want anyone to think that I was pathetic prick that I truly was.

"I don't know Afia." I sighed.

"I needed to know because if we are going to truly do this Ben I need to know everything, and no more hiding." Afia stepped in front of me with a no bullshit look on her face. When I said earlier I didn't know which light I was staring at her in and it was admiration. Unable to stop myself I tucked one of those rebellious curls that kept escaping her neat ponytail. "Do you promise no more hiding." She said looking down.

"I promise."

"Since there is no more hiding anymore, what is going on between you and Ryan I mean last time I saw you guys were two peas in a pod now you guys go together like water and oil." She said biting her lip.

"Yesterday, the day I was supposed to meet your family, was the day me and him stopped being friends." I said rubbing my molars and anger flowing through my veins.

"What happened?" She said curious. I really didn't want to talk about it mostly because I did not want to relive the situation and the words he said.

"I think it is about time we head back to the school." I said changing the subject.

"Don't do that." She snapped.

"Do what." I snapped back.

"Change the subject."

"I am not changing the subject I am just saying that we need to head back to school." I said temper rising.

"Damnit what happened to no more hiding, you made a promise."

"Ok fine you want to know what happened!" I yelled.

"That's all I asked!" She yelled back louder.          

"Fine, it was after practice and I was getting ready to go over your house but Ryan stopped me and he confessed to everything." I explained.

Confused she said, "Confessed to what?"

"He confessed to me about how he felt about you," I paused and clenched my fists, "Afia, he told me he was falling for you."

She was shocked even I could tell that, how could he be in love with her he never even knew her, not until a football was being hit upside her head did even mention two words to her.

"How?" Was all she said.

"I wish I could tell you." I shrugged.

She was silent before saying, "Why would he call me a rebound then if he was so in love with me?"

"Because it was to get to me." 

------

When we got to school everyone was moving to go to class but I knew our presence was known because no one met my eyes. It reminded me when me and Muffy started dating and no one wanted to meet my stare because they knew whatever belong to Muffy was hers and no one touched it, looked at it, or even breathed around it. But this was different similar but different, this time they wanted to avoid the elephant in the room. Was the supposedly new couple over? I wrapped in arm around her shoulder and walked her to the next class not sure if what I was doing for my security or theirs.

When we arrived at the door I stopped her and pulled her out of the walkway to the left.

"What are you doing Ben." She said furrowing her brows.

"I forgot to say one thing." I said grabbing her hands. She looked down at our hands and stared back up at me.

"What?"

"I'm sorry for not telling you and I had to give you this." I unzipped my backpack and pulled out the jersey.

She looked at the jersey for a minute and stared at me, "It's ok I am just glad I know now." She gave me a reassuring smile and took the jersey. She grabbed my hand and she gave it a squeeze and stepped around me and walked into class.